[alpine-devel] [2.7] main/collectd added libvirt sub package

Pierre Peyronnel <pierre.peyronnel@gmail.com>
<CA+mArZWRD8xMFNDm=eGfE6k0uT=GXC0LmyLCcFeGv8mxUKBK4A@mail.gmail.com>
Hello everyone,

just wanted to add libvirt support to collectd and successfully did with
minor modifications.
This should work on edge to i think being so minor a change.

Please find git diff attached,
thanks

Pierre
NB : i am not subscribed to the list
<20141029110708.55b59244@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CA+mArZWRD8xMFNDm=eGfE6k0uT=GXC0LmyLCcFeGv8mxUKBK4A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 01:30:14 +0100
Pierre Peyronnel <pierre.peyronnel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> just wanted to add libvirt support to collectd and successfully did with
> minor modifications.
> This should work on edge to i think being so minor a change.

We added this to edge already:

> Please find git diff attached,
> thanks
>
> Pierre
> NB : i am not subscribed to the list

If the package already ships the libvirt plugin, then i don't want add
it to any stable branch as it might break things for people using it
(til they apk add collectd-libvirt)

If its not shipped witih current collectd, then I'd expect to see a
configure option ala --enable-libvirt and an additional libvirt-dev to
makedepends?

If you want additional libvirt support for collectd for v2.7, then
please file an issue on bugs.alpinelinux.org. I think it should be
doable.

Thanks!

Pierre Peyronnel <pierre.peyronnel@gmail.com>
<CA+mArZXtUMUkXGOXnZSA0VQ4hne83n1StJ=0xJExV5HjTTj8=g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20141029110708.55b59244@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>
wrote:

> We added this to edge already:

thanks

> If the package already ships the libvirt plugin, then i don't want add
> it to any stable branch as it might break things for people using it
> (til they apk add collectd-libvirt)

Carlo Landmeter on IRC indeed suggested me it was shipped with the collectd
package.
But when i checked, it was not (see screen cap in attachment, there is not
a libvirt.so plugin until i install "my" collectd-libvirt package a 2:57
the next day).
I will install a new 2.7 vserver and double check that, just to be sure.

[image: Inline image 1]

> If its not shipped witih current collectd, then I'd expect to see a
> configure option ala --enable-libvirt and an additional libvirt-dev to
> makedepends?

The APKBUILD already contains the libvirt-dev makedepend (since this commit
<http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/main/collectd/APKBUILD?h=2.7-stable&id=f82fbefa19b6611e0e703b86671c3a751a3e44ca>)
but it seems the plugin is not included in the collectd compilation or file
tree.

> If you want additional libvirt support for collectd for v2.7, then
> please file an issue on bugs.alpinelinux.org. I think it should be
> doable.

thanks, I made the package, installed the .apk and looks it works for me.
I just thought I'd share :-)

I'll double check whether the current collectd package contains the
libvirt.so plugin and will post my findings.

> Thanks!
>
> -nc

Pierre Peyronnel <pierre.peyronnel@gmail.com>
<CA+mArZXZMLqHoxkvvM92v4=Zj6z_qH=7FCupTXA5GejcFQCSyA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CA+mArZXtUMUkXGOXnZSA0VQ4hne83n1StJ=0xJExV5HjTTj8=g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello again,

I can confirm that the libvirt plugin does not come with either collectd or
libvirt or libvirt-dev in 2.7 :

guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# apk info | egrep "libvirt|collectd"
libvirt
collectd
libvirt-client
libvirt-daemon
libvirt-doc
libvirt-lang
libvirt-lxc
libvirt-qemu
libvirt-uml
libvirt-xen
libvirt-dev
guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# find . -name "*virt*"
guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# apk search collectd-libvirt
guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# uname -a
Linux guest1 3.10.23-vs2.3.6.8 #1-Alpine SMP Tue Dec 10 15:50:05 UTC 2013
x86_64 Linux
guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# cat /etc/alpine-release
2.7.9
guest1:/usr/lib/collectd#

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Pierre Peyronnel <
pierre.peyronnel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>
> wrote:
>

>> We added this to edge already:
>>

> thanks
>

>> If the package already ships the libvirt plugin, then i don't want add
>> it to any stable branch as it might break things for people using it
>> (til they apk add collectd-libvirt)
>>

> Carlo Landmeter on IRC indeed suggested me it was shipped with the
> collectd package.
> But when i checked, it was not (see screen cap in attachment, there is not
> a libvirt.so plugin until i install "my" collectd-libvirt package a 2:57
> the next day).
> I will install a new 2.7 vserver and double check that, just to be sure.
>
> [image: Inline image 1]
>

>> If its not shipped witih current collectd, then I'd expect to see a
>> configure option ala --enable-libvirt and an additional libvirt-dev to
>> makedepends?
>>

> The APKBUILD already contains the libvirt-dev makedepend (since this
> commit
> <http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/main/collectd/APKBUILD?h=2.7-stable&id=f82fbefa19b6611e0e703b86671c3a751a3e44ca>)
> but it seems the plugin is not included in the collectd compilation or file
> tree.
>

>> If you want additional libvirt support for collectd for v2.7, then
>> please file an issue on bugs.alpinelinux.org. I think it should be
>> doable.
>>

> thanks, I made the package, installed the .apk and looks it works for me.
> I just thought I'd share :-)
>
> I'll double check whether the current collectd package contains the
> libvirt.so plugin and will post my findings.
>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> -nc

<20141216121457.7687d35f@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CA+mArZXZMLqHoxkvvM92v4=Zj6z_qH=7FCupTXA5GejcFQCSyA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:59:10 +0100
Pierre Peyronnel <pierre.peyronnel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I can confirm that the libvirt plugin does not come with either collectd or
> libvirt or libvirt-dev in 2.7 :
>
> guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# apk info | egrep "libvirt|collectd"
> libvirt
> collectd
> libvirt-client
> libvirt-daemon
> libvirt-doc
> libvirt-lang
> libvirt-lxc
> libvirt-qemu
> libvirt-uml
> libvirt-xen
> libvirt-dev
> guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# find . -name "*virt*"
> guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# apk search collectd-libvirt
> guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# uname -a
> Linux guest1 3.10.23-vs2.3.6.8 #1-Alpine SMP Tue Dec 10 15:50:05 UTC 2013
> x86_64 Linux
> guest1:/usr/lib/collectd# cat /etc/alpine-release
> 2.7.9
> guest1:/usr/lib/collectd#

I have now pushed collectd with libvirt subpackage to v2.7.

libvirt needed gettext-dev in its depends_dev.

Thanks!