[alpine-devel] lxc-create and mkfs

<5454F103.2090904@riihineva.no-ip.org>

I just tried to create ubuntu lxc container:

> lxc-create -l DEBUG -o lxc-log -n trusty -t ubuntu -B lvm --vgname vg0 -- -d

and got this in log:

> lxc-create 1414851260.358 ERROR    bdev - Error creating filesystem type ext3 on /dev/vg0/trusty

Checking with lxc sources I saw that lxc tried to use mkfs and I don't
have it. I don't find a package which would contain mkfs. Is there one
or is this a compatibility problem?

I got forward by making a symlink mkfs->mke2fs

--

Timo

Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com>
<CA+cSEmNnfmdeNTBZrf19fs5t78AEJ2o9=9f1GAV+3jj6VbvWSA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<5454F103.2090904@riihineva.no-ip.org> (view parent)
On 1 November 2014 15:41, Timo Ketola <timo@riihineva.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to create ubuntu lxc container:
>
>  lxc-create -l DEBUG -o lxc-log -n trusty -t ubuntu -B lvm --vgname vg0 --
>> -d
>>

> and got this in log:
>
>  lxc-create 1414851260.358 ERROR    bdev - Error creating filesystem type
>> ext3 on /dev/vg0/trusty
>>

> Checking with lxc sources I saw that lxc tried to use mkfs and I don't
> have it. I don't find a package which would contain mkfs. Is there one or
> is this a compatibility problem?

mkfs is part of util-linux. I remember we discussed this before on IRC to
create a subpkg for lxc like lxc-lvm which would have util-linux in depends.

> I got forward by making a symlink mkfs->mke2fs
>
> --
>
> Timo
>

> ---
> ---

<54571BF2.8020502@riihineva.no-ip.org>
In-Reply-To
<CA+cSEmNnfmdeNTBZrf19fs5t78AEJ2o9=9f1GAV+3jj6VbvWSA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On 03.11.2014 01:05, Carlo Landmeter wrote:
> mkfs is part of util-linux.

Ah, thanks!

Is there a way to search for a program or file in not-yet-installed
packages?

> I remember we discussed this before on IRC to create a subpkg for lxc
> like lxc-lvm which would have util-linux in depends.

That certainly sounds like a good idea.

--

Timo

Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter@gmail.com>
<CA+cSEmMxzi4uQiOnOcysLFxOTz0-7DqeCWHWTEjRrjpMaTnw3A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<54571BF2.8020502@riihineva.no-ip.org> (view parent)
On 3 November 2014 07:08, Timo Ketola <timo@riihineva.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 03.11.2014 01:05, Carlo Landmeter wrote:
> > mkfs is part of util-linux.
>
> Ah, thanks!
>
> Is there a way to search for a program or file in not-yet-installed
> packages?

No not yet, also this has been discussed before. For now I always use
http://packages.ubuntu.com to search for files.

> > I remember we discussed this before on IRC to create a subpkg for lxc
> > like lxc-lvm which would have util-linux in depends.
>
> That certainly sounds like a good idea.

I just checked git, and if you run 3.x or edge, lxc-lvm should already be
available.

> --
>
> Timo

<5457523E.3000906@riihineva.no-ip.org>
In-Reply-To
<CA+cSEmMxzi4uQiOnOcysLFxOTz0-7DqeCWHWTEjRrjpMaTnw3A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On 03.11.2014 11:31, Carlo Landmeter wrote:

> On 3 November 2014 07:08, Timo Ketola <timo@riihineva.no-ip.org
> <timo@riihineva.no-ip.org>> wrote:
>
>     Is there a way to search for a program or file in not-yet-installed
>     packages?
>

> No not yet, also this has been discussed before. For now I always use
> http://packages.ubuntu.com to search for files.

Great advice, thankyou! I have not realized that tool even though I have
used Ubuntu quite a while.

I suppose that you use the tool to get only hints about possible
packages, though. I imagine that the relationship between Alpine and
Ubuntu packages can't be strictly 1 to 1. Do developers intentionally
follow Ubuntu packaging to some extent?

> I just checked git, and if you run 3.x or edge, lxc-lvm should already
> be available.

Goog to know, thanks.

--

Timo