[alpine-devel] Could we break the mesa-dev dependency on mesa-dbg?

Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com>
<20141110182421.GA3402@newbook>
Hello,
I have several development packages installed, which drag in three -dbg
packages: glib-dbg, musl-dbg, and mesa-dbg.
In theory, I can see the logic for -dev requiring -dbg.
In practice, I've installed the Qt5 development packages to build
the Otter browser, whiich works quite well; these pull in mesa-dev,
thus pulling in mesa-dbg, which is over 100 megabytes I have absolutely
no use for (~7% of total disk usage).

Would it be possible to make mesa-dbg an exception, due to its extremely
large installed size?

Thank you,
Isaac Dunham

Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com>
<20141111172609.GA1814@newbook>
In-Reply-To
<20141111121532.338a51a7@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:15:32PM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:48:50 +0200
> Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:24:22 -0800
> > Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have several development packages installed, which drag in three
> > > -dbg packages: glib-dbg, musl-dbg, and mesa-dbg.
> > > In theory, I can see the logic for -dev requiring -dbg.
> > > In practice, I've installed the Qt5 development packages to build
> > > the Otter browser, whiich works quite well; these pull in mesa-dev,
> > > thus pulling in mesa-dbg, which is over 100 megabytes I have
> > > absolutely no use for (~7% of total disk usage).
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to make mesa-dbg an exception, due to its
> > > extremely large installed size?
> >
> > I think it would be useful if none of the -dev packages depended on the
> > -dbg. It's not a dependency. And it'll made builders run faster, etc.
> >
> > I think -dbg should be standalone. It's needed only when debugging a
> > package.
> >

> I agree, but unfortunally, we just built world with current behaviour and I just did RC1.
>
> I can update abuild to not add -dbg as subpackage but then all the
> packages which has -dbg needs to be rebuilt.
<snip>
> Are we ok to do this before RC2?

I'm inclined to suggest doing it after 3.1, given where we are.

> > The only sensible default would be -dbg having install_if=<parent> gdb.
> > Though it might not be feasible to install *all* -dbg packages due to
> > their size. Perhaps add meta-packages "debug-info", and have install_if
> > against that?
>
> I don't think its worth it. You normally only install -dbg when you are
> trying to debug a specific application.

Agreed.

> -nc

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20141111104850.5699d6b3@vostro>
In-Reply-To
<20141110182421.GA3402@newbook> (view parent)
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:24:22 -0800
Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have several development packages installed, which drag in three
> -dbg packages: glib-dbg, musl-dbg, and mesa-dbg.
> In theory, I can see the logic for -dev requiring -dbg.
> In practice, I've installed the Qt5 development packages to build
> the Otter browser, whiich works quite well; these pull in mesa-dev,
> thus pulling in mesa-dbg, which is over 100 megabytes I have
> absolutely no use for (~7% of total disk usage).
>
> Would it be possible to make mesa-dbg an exception, due to its
> extremely large installed size?

I think it would be useful if none of the -dev packages depended on the
-dbg. It's not a dependency. And it'll made builders run faster, etc.

I think -dbg should be standalone. It's needed only when debugging a
package.

The only sensible default would be -dbg having install_if=<parent> gdb.
Though it might not be feasible to install *all* -dbg packages due to
their size. Perhaps add meta-packages "debug-info", and have install_if
against that?

/Timo

<20141111104850.5699d6b3@vostro> (view parent)
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:48:50 +0200
Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:24:22 -0800
> Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have several development packages installed, which drag in three
> > -dbg packages: glib-dbg, musl-dbg, and mesa-dbg.
> > In theory, I can see the logic for -dev requiring -dbg.
> > In practice, I've installed the Qt5 development packages to build
> > the Otter browser, whiich works quite well; these pull in mesa-dev,
> > thus pulling in mesa-dbg, which is over 100 megabytes I have
> > absolutely no use for (~7% of total disk usage).
> >
> > Would it be possible to make mesa-dbg an exception, due to its
> > extremely large installed size?
>
> I think it would be useful if none of the -dev packages depended on the
> -dbg. It's not a dependency. And it'll made builders run faster, etc.
>
> I think -dbg should be standalone. It's needed only when debugging a
> package.

I agree, but unfortunally, we just built world with current behaviour and I just did RC1.

I can update abuild to not add -dbg as subpackage but then all the
packages which has -dbg needs to be rebuilt.

The list of packages are:

main/asterisk
main/claws-mail
main/dhcp
main/firefox
main/freeradius
main/freeradius3
main/glib
main/gnutls
main/kamailio
main/libnice
main/libtirpc
main/lighttpd
main/mesa
main/musl
main/nfs-utils
main/nsd
main/openvswitch
main/oscam
main/php
main/postgresql
main/quagga
main/rpcbind
main/rtapd
main/rtnppd
main/unbound
testing/firefox

Are we ok to do this before RC2?

> The only sensible default would be -dbg having install_if=<parent> gdb.
> Though it might not be feasible to install *all* -dbg packages due to
> their size. Perhaps add meta-packages "debug-info", and have install_if
> against that?

I don't think its worth it. You normally only install -dbg when you are
trying to debug a specific application.

-nc

> /Timo
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<20141113085253.2d65f3c1@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20141111172609.GA1814@newbook> (view parent)
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:26:10 -0800
Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:15:32PM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:48:50 +0200
> > Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> > > I think it would be useful if none of the -dev packages depended on the
> > > -dbg. It's not a dependency. And it'll made builders run faster, etc.
> > >
> > > I think -dbg should be standalone. It's needed only when debugging a
> > > package.
> > >

> > I agree, but unfortunally, we just built world with current behaviour and I just did RC1.
> >
> > I can update abuild to not add -dbg as subpackage but then all the
> > packages which has -dbg needs to be rebuilt.
> <snip>
> > Are we ok to do this before RC2?
>
> I'm inclined to suggest doing it after 3.1, given where we are.

Good.

I removed the mesa-dbg subpackage for now to address your specific issue.

Thanks!