[alpine-devel] Regex compatibility

Michael Fox <415fox@gmail.com>
<CABbL6oaVAbNBCM_3dfrA5BqTDn-f6XE2vzaDNbg0S5fPkEnYtg@mail.gmail.com>
Building software on alpine, I notice most problems stem from regex
incompatibility. Is there some way achieve compatibility?

This is especially hard on `make check` because many tests involve regexes.
To the point that I think a lot of packagers are just not running `make
check` because they figure the tests are failing because of test code and
not the code under test. This may be true most of the time but it is
allowing some bugs to slip through.

--

-
Michael
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Michael Fox <415fox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Building software on alpine, I notice most problems stem from regex
> incompatibility. Is there some way achieve compatibility?
>
> This is especially hard on `make check` because many tests involve regexes.

If it's a matter of the tests actually depending on regex library
calls, I would say
that's something that would probably need to be fixed in the test, since not all
C libraries are going to have the same implementation. But if the tests are
depending on the behavior of the "grep" command, the fix might be as simple
as ensuring that the test environment has GNU grep installed in the path ahead
of busybox grep. (since GUN grep uses PCRE rather than MUSL for its regex.)

- Jeff

Michael Fox <415fox@gmail.com>
<CABbL6obAHg2_rSzJ=5NKMmKG1eCp3YEdX4e4okXjf-70D4cuVQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20150630162542.34f46f2a@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Here's all the things I've installed to get tests to pass:

gnugrep binutils diffutils coreutils linux-headers gzip bash

And still, of the many basic, core packages I've tested, very few pass all
tests. Maybe less than one in four.

There's currently 7575 packages in alpine. How much work is that to report
failing tests upstream? Even more work to try and make your own patches.

Do you think we can get 200 people to take on a package each day for a
month? If so, I volunteer to be one of them.

--

-
Michael

--