~alpine/devel

Re: Fwd: [alpine-devel] udev replacement in Alpine Linux

Christoph Lohmann <20h@r-36.net>
<20150727112243.D9AF51025EE87@r-36.net>
Greetings.

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:16:35 +0200 Jude Nelson <judecn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing you're not on the alpine-devel list?  If not, then my reply to

I am not. I already have to deal with too many mailinglists. And web
interfaces to mailinglists suck.

> your earlier message to alpine-devel might be of interest to you insofar as
> getting started with libudev-compat.  Apologies if this is a repeat message.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Please,  ban all C++ off your life. You only made mine more miserable by
having to rip off what you did wrong in your past life.

Off  to work. The idea is spreaded. I will be happy to see you all send‐
ing patches for smdev. There we can discuss the  implementation  details
on every patch in hackers@suckless.org.

> [0]
> libudev-compat communication:
> *
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/event-push.sh
> *
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/event-put.c
> * https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/subr.sh
> *
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/subr-event.sh
> *
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/udev-compat.sh
>
> libudev-compat hardware database:
> *
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/hwdb-props.sh
> * https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/hwdb.sh
> *
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/vdevd/helpers/LINUX/subr-hwdb.sh
> * https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/blob/master/hwdb/gen_database.sh

I  will  take  all the useful features and leave the rest of the corpese
lying there.

> [1] The biggest blocker is the dependency libfskit.  However, libfskit is
> basically C with STL containers, and is being modified to use sglib-style
> containers instead (i.e. the changes aren't significant).  You can track
> the progress here:  https://github.com/jcnelson/fskit/issues/10

Stop  writing such wrappers. Make it a simple C file that can be reused.
Gtk+ and glib should be an example for all of us how to not  name  func‐
tions and how to not add complexity on first sight of feature.

And  again: Please make this world a better world by not using C++ again
in any project. It will make it useless for future generations.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann