~alpine/devel

Re: [alpine-devel] Rename proposal of alpine .ISOs

Jeff Bilyk <jbilyk@gmail.com>
<xvw3xynsaowgaxpclmh5xwmk.1445176331082@email.android.com>
Agreed re not burning the ISO however I have deployed a fair amount of boxes recently using virtual media, for example using HP ilo, so it has been convenient having ISO format for me at least.

7heo <7heo@mail.com> wrote:

>>Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 1:46 PM
>>From: "Alan Pillay" <alanppillay4@gmail.com>
>>To: alpine-devel@lists.alpinelinux.org
>>Subject: [alpine-devel] Rename proposal of alpine .ISOs
>>The current Standard" .iso" on http://www.alpinelinux.org/downloads/
>>is of the alpine Linux distribution + lots of packages to use it as a
>>router/firewall/etc as was alpine's first goal. However, I think most
>>people nowadays don't use it like that anymore. Also, there's nothing
>>in the name to indicate the "Standard" .iso"comes with all those
>>things. Because of that most people downloading alpine are installing
>>many packages they never touch. What they actually are looking for is
>>probably the "Mini" .iso. Not only that, but the "Vanilla" .iso is the
>>"Mini" .iso with linux vanilla kernel, but there's nothing to indicate
>>that, and it looks like Vanilla is the "Standard" .iso with some
>>modifications.
>>With all this put, I propose the following:
>>
>>Standard -> Network (Router/Firewall/VPN/VoIP/etc)
>>Mini -> Standard
>>
>>What does everyone think?
>>I believe this is what makes the most sense now that Alpine is a
>>general purpose distribution.
>>
>>Thanks for your time.
>>

>>---
>>Unsubscribe: alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
>>Help: alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
>>---
>
>I would also get rid of the iso format as the main one, as nobody burns installation medias anymore. It would be much better to have a dd'able installation image.
>

>---
>Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
>Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
>---