[alpine-devel] Rename proposal of alpine .ISOs

<CAO6-m00ifMw9NZt4U5zjfkk3sOPQT2pEMdYQxqLVYUyp_rrEKA@mail.gmail.com>
The current Standard" .iso" on http://www.alpinelinux.org/downloads/
is of the alpine Linux distribution + lots of packages to use it as a
router/firewall/etc as was alpine's first goal. However, I think most
people nowadays don't use it like that anymore. Also, there's nothing
in the name to indicate the "Standard" .iso"comes with all those
things. Because of that most people downloading alpine are installing
many packages they never touch. What they actually are looking for is
probably the "Mini" .iso. Not only that, but the "Vanilla" .iso is the
"Mini" .iso with linux vanilla kernel, but there's nothing to indicate
that, and it looks like Vanilla is the "Standard" .iso with some
modifications.
With all this put, I propose the following:

Standard -> Network (Router/Firewall/VPN/VoIP/etc)
Mini -> Standard

What does everyone think?
I believe this is what makes the most sense now that Alpine is a
general purpose distribution.

Thanks for your time.

<20151019091855.GA1718@eiger>
In-Reply-To
<CAO6-m00ifMw9NZt4U5zjfkk3sOPQT2pEMdYQxqLVYUyp_rrEKA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 09:46:41AM -0200, Alan Pillay wrote:

> With all this put, I propose the following:
>
> Standard -> Network (Router/Firewall/VPN/VoIP/etc)
> Mini -> Standard
>
> I believe this is what makes the most sense now that Alpine is a
> general purpose distribution.

"Network" is confusing and might imply to some that "Standard" does not have any
networking.

I would rename the mini to standard alpine-version-arch.iso and remove the
current "standard" iso build.

One of the great aspects of Alpine Linux is that you start from something small,
and build on it. Total control.

Perhaps another iso with wireless-tools for those without Ethernet?

<D4F4DBEE-B308-4CFB-8F36-2703BAD47DEC@yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To
<20151120111255.5ca3fd9d@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
I like the new scheme. "Extended" implies bigger, but not necessarily better, which I think strikes the right balance. alpine-extended is not for everyone, just for those who need some extra packages in the iso.

As seen in our discussion yesterday, not everyone sees the need for alpine-extended. Can we 'market' it as an example of how to create customized isos? Not sure if users would create custom isos in the same manner or not.

Ted

<20151019091855.GA1718@eiger> (view parent)

<20151120152957.GA3488@eiger>
On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:12:55AM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:

> We are getting closer v3.3 release and I am thinking of rename the iso
> images.
>
> What do you think about:
>
> Extended:
>   alpine-extended (current "alpine")

alpine-extended sounds good.

There was a discussion on #alpine-devel about what would go into
alpine-extended, so in the name of consensus, I put together a ethercal
host and started a collaborative spreadsheet (I know, right?).

It contains the list of all current packages, with removal and additions
proposals. It's probably not ideal, but it's a start.

This will show you a read-only version:

http://meije.alpinelinux.uk/di01hicr5x

You can get the credentials from someone on #alpine-devel to edit the
spreadsheet:

http://meije.alpinelinux.uk/di01hicr5x/edit

Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b@bpiotrowski.pl>
<1448227688.21203.0.camel@bpiotrowski.pl>
On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 11:12 +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:18:56 +0100
> scrumpyjack <scrumpyjack@st.ilet.to> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 09:46:41AM -0200, Alan Pillay wrote:
> >
> > > With all this put, I propose the following:
> > >
> > > Standard -> Network (Router/Firewall/VPN/VoIP/etc)
> > > Mini -> Standard
> > >
> > > I believe this is what makes the most sense now that Alpine is a
> > > general purpose distribution.
> >
> > "Network" is confusing and might imply to some that "Standard" does
> > not have any
> > networking.
> >
> > I would rename the mini to standard alpine-version-arch.iso and
> > remove the
> > current "standard" iso build.
> >
> > One of the great aspects of Alpine Linux is that you start from
> > something small,
> > and build on it. Total control.
> >
> > Perhaps another iso with wireless-tools for those without Ethernet?
>
> We are getting closer v3.3 release and I am thinking of rename the
> iso
> images.
>
> What do you think about:
>
> Standard:
>   alpine (current "alpine-mini")
>
> Extended:
>   alpine-extended (current "alpine")
>
> Vanilla kernel:
>   alpine-vanilla (unmodified)
>
> Xen:
>   alpine-xen (unmodified)
>

> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

I still think it should be 'alpine-full' or 'alpine-extra', but from
all other proposals I saw on IRC, extended is good enough.

Bartłomiej
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)