[alpine-devel] RPI3 doesn't boot on Alpine Linux 3.3.2

<CADKdsc+hFpAkxF8U-JCdn8ovxEn8yu=1W+9hzj_gcKOOd15LPQ@mail.gmail.com>
Hello,

Thanks for releasing v3.3.2 ! I saw that
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5197 was closed with it, and had a try
to boot the new Raspberry Pi 3 with this new 3.3.2 version, but
unfortunately it does not work.

Whereas if I get the official kernel.img from
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/boot/kernel.img and
modify config.txt to use it instead of the kernel provided by Alpine Linux,
it does boot.

Am I missing something ?

Fabien
Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20160319094349.0667344c@vostro>
In-Reply-To
<CADKdsc+hFpAkxF8U-JCdn8ovxEn8yu=1W+9hzj_gcKOOd15LPQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 17:18:06 +0100
Fabien Germain <fabien.germain@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for releasing v3.3.2 ! I saw that
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5197 was closed with it, and had a
> try to boot the new Raspberry Pi 3 with this new 3.3.2 version, but
> unfortunately it does not work.
>
> Whereas if I get the official kernel.img from
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/boot/kernel.img
> and modify config.txt to use it instead of the kernel provided by
> Alpine Linux, it does boot.
>
> Am I missing something ?

Need to check that. I did test boot an early edge build with the same
kernel config on rpi3 earlier.

<CADKdsc+43K8m0TxDYEYioW4KQ-x4caeduoT5weG2Y6DQJrvn6A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20160319094349.0667344c@vostro> (view parent)
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> Need to check that. I did test boot an early edge build with the same
> kernel config on rpi3 earlier.

It seems like I'm not the only one : http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5296

Fabien
Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20160321113413.66bd0282@vostro.util.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<CADKdsc+43K8m0TxDYEYioW4KQ-x4caeduoT5weG2Y6DQJrvn6A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:16:48 +0100
Fabien Germain <fabien.germain@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > Need to check that. I did test boot an early edge build with the
> > same kernel config on rpi3 earlier.
> >

> It seems like I'm not the only one :
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5296

Yes, seems a late mkinitfs change broke rpi boot sequence. I believe
the 3.3.2 does not boot at all on any rpi.

We'll bump to new kernels, incorporate that fix, and update the rpi
firmwares too. You can expect 3.3.3 soonish (probably tomorrow when
all new kernels are built).

/Timo

<56F134CE.4050200@riseup.net>
In-Reply-To
<20160321113413.66bd0282@vostro.util.wtbts.net> (view parent)
Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:16:48 +0100
> Fabien Germain <fabien.germain@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>>> Need to check that. I did test boot an early edge build with the
>>> same kernel config on rpi3 earlier.
>>>

>> It seems like I'm not the only one :
>> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5296
>
> Yes, seems a late mkinitfs change broke rpi boot sequence. I believe
> the 3.3.2 does not boot at all on any rpi.
>
> We'll bump to new kernels, incorporate that fix, and update the rpi
> firmwares too. You can expect 3.3.3 soonish (probably tomorrow when
> all new kernels are built).
>
> /Timo
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

Thank you -Timo- for your update.
After building a new image, the rpi3 boots alpine just fine.
But, some firmware file/s is/are missing e.g. "brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin".
This is the reason, why currently no wifi is available.
Did I miss to install something or is it just not in the image?

dmesg:

[ 6.321397] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[ 6.383578] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_drivestrengthinit: No SDIO Drive strength init done for chip 43430 rev 1 pmurev 24
[ 6.383969] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[ 6.384142] brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin failed with error -2
[ 6.384150] brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Falling back to user helper

Roger Newman

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20160322175121.0db2548f@vostro>
In-Reply-To
<56F134CE.4050200@riseup.net> (view parent)
On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 13:04:30 +0100
Roger Newman <roger.newman@riseup.net> wrote:

> Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:16:48 +0100
> > Fabien Germain <fabien.germain@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It seems like I'm not the only one :
> >> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5296
> >
> > Yes, seems a late mkinitfs change broke rpi boot sequence. I believe
> > the 3.3.2 does not boot at all on any rpi.
> >
> > We'll bump to new kernels, incorporate that fix, and update the rpi
> > firmwares too. You can expect 3.3.3 soonish (probably tomorrow when
> > all new kernels are built).
> >
> > /Timo
> >

> > ---
> > Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> > Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> > ---
> >

> Thank you -Timo- for your update.
> After building a new image, the rpi3 boots alpine just fine.
> But, some firmware file/s is/are missing e.g.
> "brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin". This is the reason, why currently no wifi
> is available. Did I miss to install something or is it just not in
> the image?
>
> dmesg:

> [ 6.321397] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
> [ 6.383578] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_drivestrengthinit: No SDIO Drive
> strength init done for chip 43430 rev 1 pmurev 24 [ 6.383969]
> usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac [ 6.384142]
> brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for
> brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin failed with error -2 [ 6.384150]
> brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Falling back to user helper ...

the firmware is not upstream yet. we are tracking the wlan support
separately in bug:
 http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5297

<CADKdsc+fBHLj=Q5QTv_eREvY6TYhO64tCC+WmjUFWcfxi2apTA@mail.gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> We'll bump to new kernels, incorporate that fix, and update the rpi
> firmwares too. You can expect 3.3.3 soonish (probably tomorrow when
> all new kernels are built).

Indeed I can confirm that now RPI3 works fine with v3.3.3. Thanks :-)

Fabien
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)