[alpine-devel] Re: php7 in alpine

<CAKTwcDPHuGz264RUn9g3MWOD=ssqeLBVWe0+kOwWhK+mAbAHpg@mail.gmail.com>
IMHO, it's not so necessary to made 7th line as main for a now. php 5.6 is
clean enough for production purposes.

And as you know, there is some problems with compiling php7 on x86 alpine
build machines.
I have no problem to compile it on my x86, So I have some difficulties with
it.
I need to add x86 to arch before made some new fix or addon and then I need
to remove x86 before commit.

> Hi all,
>
> php7 is in testing, and we have some patches as well as several add-on
> modules in the patchworks queue for it.
>
> I'm wondering if:
>
> - php7 is stable enough and backwards compatible, so we could just
>   upgrade current 'php' package to be php7 ?
>
> - and how to handle properly the extension load ordering? there's
>   pending patch for prefixing the .ini files with 00 or 01 depending
>   the number of dependencies it has. but i was hoping for something
>   more cleaner. any ideas on this? how is this solved in other distros?
>
> Once the extension ordering issue is solved, I'm happy to go through
> the backlog of pending submission and commit them.
>
> Thanks for submissions, and sorry for the delay on some of the
> submissions.
>
>  - Timo

<CAKTwcDNEdtFdjAu30X8hnaQGDaC93Vihtpx-kuuG3Py-PHj9wQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAKTwcDPHuGz264RUn9g3MWOD=ssqeLBVWe0+kOwWhK+mAbAHpg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
And about extension loading order. I know how it done in FreeBSD - it's
like a shuffle a deck of cards in one ini file. In other distros its
resolved by renaming of ini files to make right alphabetical loading order
... and in alpine too (main/php - wddx extension). I introduced clean and
simple workaround to solve loading order for bundled extensions and for 3rd
party extensions. If anybody made it simpler, it would be great because I
don't like any leading numbers in ini filenames but I see it's the only way
to solve it.

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20160404082521.29818b63@vostro.util.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<CAKTwcDPHuGz264RUn9g3MWOD=ssqeLBVWe0+kOwWhK+mAbAHpg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 00:18:01 +0300
Valery Kartel <valery.kartel@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, it's not so necessary to made 7th line as main for a now. php
> 5.6 is clean enough for production purposes.
>
> And as you know, there is some problems with compiling php7 on x86
> alpine build machines.
> I have no problem to compile it on my x86, So I have some
> difficulties with it.
> I need to add x86 to arch before made some new fix or addon and then
> I need to remove x86 before commit.

Oh yes, we had this issue too.

The problem was that CFLAGS is not honored (-fPIC), and some object
files are created with text relocations. It's probably matter of
resolving the CFLAGS passing.

/Timo

<20160404100644.490b90c8@ncopa-desktop.alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<CAKTwcDPHuGz264RUn9g3MWOD=ssqeLBVWe0+kOwWhK+mAbAHpg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 00:18:01 +0300
Valery Kartel <valery.kartel@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, it's not so necessary to made 7th line as main for a now. php 5.6 is
> clean enough for production purposes.

I think we want php7 in stable release, so we want it in main.

> And as you know, there is some problems with compiling php7 on x86 alpine
> build machines.

Can we fix those issues?

> I have no problem to compile it on my x86, So I have some difficulties with
> it.
> I need to add x86 to arch before made some new fix or addon and then I need
> to remove x86 before commit.

I also wonder if we can fix the php7 file locations:
https://github.com/docker-library/php/pull/206#issuecomment-203158610