[alpine-devel] SSD on Alpine Linux

<CAJDAfTC+KRJzGybhSMPTaA7RYJqhr4cPzkR9X1EWOe3BwfXLDw@mail.gmail.com>
Hello. My notebook`s HDD just died, so I'm thinking about buying a
Kingston 60 GB SSD to replace it.
Does it work fine on Alpine? Is there TRIM support? Is installation
the same or should I go without swap partition? etc...
Thanks for the information.

<CAJDAfTAzXd8oQWcSTo1ghJ2o1ZyRL6z1e93nD-asu3DZ4zTj+g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<57485E8A.2090206@leo-unglaub.net> (view parent)
I never used anything but ext4, it was always reliable. Would you
recommend btrfs for an SSD?
I'm thinking about just going with Alpine's defaults.
setup-alpine, follow directions, choose 'sys' and let alpine
automatically partition. This is how I did with HDDs. Should work the
same?

Ciao.

<CAJDAfTC+KRJzGybhSMPTaA7RYJqhr4cPzkR9X1EWOe3BwfXLDw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)

Leonardo Arena <rnalrd@gmail.com>
<1464361237.10288.28.camel@df1844j>
On ven, 2016-05-27 at 10:41 -0300, Alba Pompeo wrote:
> Hello. My notebook`s HDD just died, so I'm thinking about buying a
> Kingston 60 GB SSD to replace it.
> Does it work fine on Alpine? Is there TRIM support? Is installation
> the same or should I go without swap partition? etc...
> Thanks for the information.

Have been using SSDs here since several years.
TRIM used run only on specifics SSD brands, like Samunsung and Intel,
because it did not work reliably on all.
That was sometime ago, dunno about recent kernel. I'd suggest you to
read kernel documentation about it.

- leo
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)