[alpine-devel] Adding ~/.bin to the default path

Leo Unglaub <leo@leo-unglaub.net>
<574C4143.4000501@leo-unglaub.net>
Hey friends,
i think it would be a good idea to add ~/.bin to the default PATH
variable. That way users directly have a directory that they can use for
there own scripts. In OpenBSD the folder ~./bin is included by default
but i would prefer to have the folder to be hidden by default.

> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:~/.bin

What is your opinion on that?
Greetings
Leo

Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b@bpiotrowski.pl>
<f53e9389810a53b11fffc10e357ec4c2@server-speed.net>
In-Reply-To
<574C4143.4000501@leo-unglaub.net> (view parent)
And then someone will want to include ~/.local/bin as well. And why not
~/.local/opt/bin too while we're on it?

Simply add it locally. Nothing to do here distribution-wise.

Bartłomiej

<8528023.rYKQaUPLI5@opensuse>
In-Reply-To
<574C4143.4000501@leo-unglaub.net> (view parent)
понеділок, 30-тра-2016 15:33:55 Leo Unglaub написано:
> Hey friends,
> i think it would be a good idea to add ~/.bin to the default PATH
> variable. That way users directly have a directory that they can use for
> there own scripts. In OpenBSD the folder ~./bin is included by default
> but i would prefer to have the folder to be hidden by default.
>
> > PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:~/.bin

Hidden dir for nice home exploits?
Good joke :)

--
___
Led

Leo Unglaub <leo@leo-unglaub.net>
<574CB14E.5080005@leo-unglaub.net>
In-Reply-To
<f53e9389810a53b11fffc10e357ec4c2@server-speed.net> (view parent)
Hey,

On 05/30/16 17:59, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
 > And then someone will want to include ~/.local/bin as well. And why not
 > ~/.local/opt/bin too while we're on it?
 >
 > Simply add it locally. Nothing to do here distribution-wise.

well, i don't think that multiple locations in the home directory are
needed by default. But one location for user scripts would make a good
default. If we name it ~/.bin or ~/bin is not that relevant. Thats up to
ncopa as the technical lead of Alpine.

Maybe i want to change my first email and also vote for ~/bin since its
the value that OpenBSD uses and that way it would be similar.

Greetings
Leo

<efn3p3.o80k4c.2yp4xi-qmf@gmx.com>
In-Reply-To
<574C4143.4000501@leo-unglaub.net> (view parent)
I'd rather have ~/bin than ~/.bin. If you want to "hide" your scripts you can put/link them in /usr/local/bin.

On Mon May 30 15:33:55 2016 GMT+0200, Leo Unglaub wrote:
> Hey friends,
> i think it would be a good idea to add ~/.bin to the default PATH
> variable. That way users directly have a directory that they can use for
> there own scripts. In OpenBSD the folder ~./bin is included by default
> but i would prefer to have the folder to be hidden by default.
>
> > PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:~/.bin
>
> What is your opinion on that?
> Greetings
> Leo
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

Leo Unglaub <leo@leo-unglaub.net>
<574CB206.1080103@leo-unglaub.net>
In-Reply-To
<8528023.rYKQaUPLI5@opensuse> (view parent)
Hey,

On 05/30/16 21:08, Led wrote:
> Hidden dir for nice home exploits?
> Good joke:)

it was not meant as a joke. I have no idea what attack vector you use
but "home exploits" via evil hidden folder are kind of non existing.
Thats the kind of attack that happens when people dont understand how IT
security works. Because no one cares about a hidden folder. If someone
gets write access to your home directory you have far bitter problems
that a hidden rm -rf / file.

Exploits usually happen on a deeper level than hidden folders.

Greetings
Leo

Łukasz Jendrysik <scadu@yandex.com>
<fefb4dac-e896-aaea-eaad-20df40e3b406@yandex.com>
In-Reply-To
<574CB206.1080103@leo-unglaub.net> (view parent)
On 05/30/2016 11:31 PM, Leo Unglaub wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 05/30/16 17:59, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> > And then someone will want to include ~/.local/bin as well. And why not
> > ~/.local/opt/bin too while we're on it?
> >
> > Simply add it locally. Nothing to do here distribution-wise.
>
> well, i don't think that multiple locations in the home directory are
> needed by default. But one location for user scripts would make a good
> default. If we name it ~/.bin or ~/bin is not that relevant. Thats up
> to ncopa as the technical lead of Alpine.

Still you can to the same locally. I really doubt anyone will like this
idea.

> Maybe i want to change my first email and also vote for ~/bin since
> its the value that OpenBSD uses and that way it would be similar.

Since when Alpine is OpenBSD?