[alpine-devel] Using df with OverlayFS

Christian Kniep <ckniep@gaikai.com>
<CA+x9LCPdxK3qavCSur3pN9ww2wDZugJDa=-ExNqiNn89S0K1eQ@mail.gmail.com>
Hey there,

I am running an alpine container on a Linux system that uses overlay as
docker storage backend.

My suspicion would be, that the df command does not no how to deal with
overlay as a filesystem and therefore is shy providing output… :)

gentoo1 ~ # docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
Storage Driver: overlay
gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged alpine df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged ubuntu df -h
overlay         1.4T  3.6G  1.4T   1% /

If I run df on my Ubuntu16 reference box - using AUFS as a storage backend,
I get an output.

root@swarm0:~# docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
WARNING: No swap limit support
Storage Driver: aufs
root@swarm0:~# docker run -ti alpine df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
none                     77.2G     26.3G     47.0G  36% /

How do I get overlay into this little df command of mine? I guess somehow
fiddle around with the APKBUILD file of coreutils
<http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/coreutils/APKBUILD>…

Cheers
Christian
<CAK4o1WxA60_y+y3OO7boOS=3oxN7Vz_ij0oGAzxnrDYC3fOd1g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CA+x9LCPdxK3qavCSur3pN9ww2wDZugJDa=-ExNqiNn89S0K1eQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
There is an issue already http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5703 and
this should be fixed shortly.

Justin

On 2 September 2016 at 09:25, Christian Kniep <ckniep@gaikai.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I am running an alpine container on a Linux system that uses overlay as
> docker storage backend.
>
> My suspicion would be, that the df command does not no how to deal with
> overlay as a filesystem and therefore is shy providing output… :)
>
> gentoo1 ~ # docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
> Storage Driver: overlay
> gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged alpine df -h
> Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged ubuntu df -h
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> overlay         1.4T  3.6G  1.4T   1% /
>
> If I run df on my Ubuntu16 reference box - using AUFS as a storage backend,
> I get an output.
>
> root@swarm0:~# docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
> WARNING: No swap limit support
> Storage Driver: aufs
> root@swarm0:~# docker run -ti alpine df -h
> Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> none                     77.2G     26.3G     47.0G  36% /
>
> How do I get overlay into this little df command of mine? I guess somehow
> fiddle around with the APKBUILD file of coreutils…
>
> Cheers
> Christian

Christian Kniep <ckniep@gaikai.com>
<CA+x9LCPhqWqTc8qdQRj3fCGNRbuf7-gCZ_4Wg-C88kU19=HsRw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAK4o1WxA60_y+y3OO7boOS=3oxN7Vz_ij0oGAzxnrDYC3fOd1g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hey Justin,

thanks for getting back to me. I have created a package on an overlay host
and using it as an workaround.
https://github.com/qnib/alpn-hadoop/blob/master/Dockerfile#L15-L16

But I am happy to get rid of it, once the issue is fixed. :)

Thanks
Christian

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Justin Cormack <
justin@specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> There is an issue already http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5703 and
> this should be fixed shortly.
>
> Justin
>

> On 2 September 2016 at 09:25, Christian Kniep <ckniep@gaikai.com> wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > I am running an alpine container on a Linux system that uses overlay as
> > docker storage backend.
> >
> > My suspicion would be, that the df command does not no how to deal with
> > overlay as a filesystem and therefore is shy providing output… :)
> >
> > gentoo1 ~ # docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
> > Storage Driver: overlay
> > gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged alpine df -h
> > Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged ubuntu df -h
> > Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > overlay         1.4T  3.6G  1.4T   1% /
> >
> > If I run df on my Ubuntu16 reference box - using AUFS as a storage
> backend,
> > I get an output.
> >
> > root@swarm0:~# docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
> > WARNING: No swap limit support
> > Storage Driver: aufs
> > root@swarm0:~# docker run -ti alpine df -h
> > Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > none                     77.2G     26.3G     47.0G  36% /
> >
> > How do I get overlay into this little df command of mine? I guess somehow
> > fiddle around with the APKBUILD file of coreutils…
> >
> > Cheers
> > Christian
> >

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<20160908205230.36f9e564@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<CA+x9LCPhqWqTc8qdQRj3fCGNRbuf7-gCZ_4Wg-C88kU19=HsRw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
The problem was that line buffer in getmntent(3) in musl libc was too small.

I have sent a patch upstream:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2016/09/08/1

Once its reviewed I'll add it to Alpine.

-nc

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 15:13:27 +0200