[alpine-devel] Alpine s390x repo

Tuan M. Hoang <tmhoang@flatglobe.org>
<fac821b6-d444-e006-1191-dfb23ad0f426@flatglobe.org>
Hi everyone,

As we have seen in the last couple of months, Alpine has active
develpoment in ppcel64 and s390x ports, thanks to Alpine's great
cross-compiling capability. For now, I have built a stable chroot/Docker
image with about 900 packages in main, 100 in community, including musl,
linux-vanilla, gcc, python2-3, go, openjdk7-8, ruby, nodejs, erlang,
etc., hosted at :
https://github.com/tmh1999/alpine-s390x-repo/tree/master/alpine/edge.

And I think it's best for Alpine to have s390x port available in the
official repo. In the next steps, I would like to share the
responsibility and workload of Alpine community to maintain s390x port :
fixing bug, contributing aports and building packages. I am not saying I
am an expert in s390x architecture but I am spending my time to learn
and work with it right now, so I think it's a plus for Alpine community.
I already talked to Timo about this proposal on IRC and he suggested me
to ask other Alpine devs' opinions too.

For some devs showing concerns about s390x building machines, though I
cannot speak on behalf of IBM I believe IBM will have support for
Alpine. If I am correct IBM has already contacted some Alpine devs for
long-term s390x build machines, which is pretty cool. For now, anyone
can request for a s390x VM at :
https://developer.ibm.com/linuxone/request-a-trial/.

I will try to build the remaining packages in main and community, and
creat a boot image for Alpine s390x.

Please let me know what you think about my proposal.

Thanks,
Tuan

William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
<CA+T2pCFVCiE=4zeTee91K=B3iXxbcttAopJzOq8WiZpNVs-85w@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<fac821b6-d444-e006-1191-dfb23ad0f426@flatglobe.org> (view parent)
I fully support s390x being an official architecture.

William