[alpine-devel] Udhcpc doesn't respond to hotplug of cable. How about add ifplugd to the repo?

<7edd13a1-bb39-60d7-c092-7694796260f0@ustc.edu>

Udhcpc doesn't respond to hotplug of network cable -- i.e. keep outdated
IP address etc. after the machine reconnected with a new cable [1].

Following the suggestion in [1], I installed ifplugd in Alpine, and it
does work with udhcpc, i.e. re-configure interface after plug in a cable.

How about add ifplugd to the repo? Or do you have other solutions?

[1] https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9367

Regards,
Duan, Yao

<CAEuRe+2PJwk02f7mWthmzwXoTZG3ovAvWCdRAuh6BND8rwYpPg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<7edd13a1-bb39-60d7-c092-7694796260f0@ustc.edu> (view parent)
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:17 AM, <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:

> Udhcpc doesn't respond to hotplug of network cable -- i.e. keep outdated IP
> address etc. after the machine reconnected with a new cable [1].

> How about add ifplugd to the repo? Or do you have other solutions?

Another option might be to enable ifplugd applet in busybox.

( As an aside, I would personally like to see busybox built with *ALL*
available applets enabled.  The added functionality would be well worth
the slight incease in size, IMO. )

 -- Jeff

<20170329103351.53322c1c@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<7edd13a1-bb39-60d7-c092-7694796260f0@ustc.edu> (view parent)
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 13:17:45 +0800
** <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Udhcpc doesn't respond to hotplug of network cable -- i.e. keep outdated
> IP address etc. after the machine reconnected with a new cable [1].
>
> Following the suggestion in [1], I installed ifplugd in Alpine, and it
> does work with udhcpc, i.e. re-configure interface after plug in a cable.
>
> How about add ifplugd to the repo? Or do you have other solutions?
>
> [1] https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9367

I suppose the simplest way to solve this would be:

  apk add dhcpcd

dhcpcd monitors link status so it should work out of the box.

<20170329143758.5dedfb9e@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<dd4d4174-68f5-dc5a-b5f6-f3681f8f7931@ustc.edu> (view parent)
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 20:11:22 +0800
** <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:

> * 2017/3/29 16:33, Natanael Copa **:
> > On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 13:17:45 +0800
> > ** <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Udhcpc doesn't respond to hotplug of network cable -- i.e. keep outdated
> >> IP address etc. after the machine reconnected with a new cable [1].
> >>
> >> Following the suggestion in [1], I installed ifplugd in Alpine, and it
> >> does work with udhcpc, i.e. re-configure interface after plug in a cable.
> >>
> >> How about add ifplugd to the repo? Or do you have other solutions?
> >>
> >> [1] https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9367
> > I suppose the simplest way to solve this would be:
> >
> >    apk add dhcpcd
> >
> > dhcpcd monitors link status so it should work out of the box.
>
> Nice solution. Thank you very much!
>
> I think it would be more convenient to add an option in
> `setup-interfaces` script to use
> dhcpcd instead of udhcpc.

Yeah, but I thought that its not worth it since a simple "apk add
dhcpcd" solves it. Might be good to add to documentation though.

> > -nc
> >

> > ---
> > Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> > Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> > ---
> >

> Duan, Yao
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<5b171d02-27e3-2c9d-7876-2b2cd81eb1f6@ustc.edu>
In-Reply-To
<CAEuRe+2PJwk02f7mWthmzwXoTZG3ovAvWCdRAuh6BND8rwYpPg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)

在 2017/3/29 14:40, Jeff Pohlmeyer 写道:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:17 AM, <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Udhcpc doesn't respond to hotplug of network cable -- i.e. keep outdated IP
>> address etc. after the machine reconnected with a new cable [1].
>> How about add ifplugd to the repo? Or do you have other solutions?
>
> Another option might be to enable ifplugd applet in busybox.
>
> ( As an aside, I would personally like to see busybox built with *ALL*
> available applets enabled.  The added functionality would be well worth
> the slight incease in size, IMO. )

I like the idea.

>   -- Jeff

<dd4d4174-68f5-dc5a-b5f6-f3681f8f7931@ustc.edu>
In-Reply-To
<20170329103351.53322c1c@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)

在 2017/3/29 16:33, Natanael Copa 写道:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 13:17:45 +0800
> ** <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Udhcpc doesn't respond to hotplug of network cable -- i.e. keep outdated
>> IP address etc. after the machine reconnected with a new cable [1].
>>
>> Following the suggestion in [1], I installed ifplugd in Alpine, and it
>> does work with udhcpc, i.e. re-configure interface after plug in a cable.
>>
>> How about add ifplugd to the repo? Or do you have other solutions?
>>
>> [1] https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9367
> I suppose the simplest way to solve this would be:
>
>    apk add dhcpcd
>
> dhcpcd monitors link status so it should work out of the box.

Nice solution. Thank you very much!

I think it would be more convenient to add an option in
`setup-interfaces` script to use
dhcpcd instead of udhcpc.

> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

Duan, Yao

<925f0f6b-6ce7-fbd3-d28d-aa619dc7bda5@ustc.edu>
In-Reply-To
<20170329143758.5dedfb9e@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)

在 2017/3/29 20:37, Natanael Copa 写道:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 20:11:22 +0800
> ** <duanyao@ustc.edu> wrote:
>
>> * 2017/3/29 16:33, Natanael Copa **:

>>> I suppose the simplest way to solve this would be:
>>>
>>>     apk add dhcpcd
>>>
>>> dhcpcd monitors link status so it should work out of the box.
>> Nice solution. Thank you very much!
>>
>> I think it would be more convenient to add an option in
>> `setup-interfaces` script to use
>> dhcpcd instead of udhcpc.
> Yeah, but I thought that its not worth it since a simple "apk add
> dhcpcd" solves it. Might be good to add to documentation though.

Fair enough :)