[alpine-devel] Suggestion to accept only whitelisted archs on APKBUILD arch= field

<trinity-0f3319fe-bea4-4bc3-b5e7-9c23ef04c0c5-1498093425795@3capp-mailcom-lxa16>
Alpiners,

I suggest abuild stops to accept anything as an architecture.
Instead it should only accept a few whitelisted strings (x86 x86_64 armhf aarch64 ppc64le s390x noarch).

This will prevent errors like setting unsupported archs.
https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/blob/master/main/yaboot/APKBUILD#L8

And also help with typos.
https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/commit/58a2da0b213c969c00c1014552992c415f7a6610

When support for a new arch is added it can be whitelisted.

tmpfile

William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
<CA+T2pCHkR-xBAStmtv4_8Hm_M6LBMWrzMsH-f189zbPcBTvs4A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<trinity-0f3319fe-bea4-4bc3-b5e7-9c23ef04c0c5-1498093425795@3capp-mailcom-lxa16> (view parent)
Hello,

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Tmp File <tmpfile@mail.com> wrote:
> Alpiners,
>
> I suggest abuild stops to accept anything as an architecture.
> Instead it should only accept a few whitelisted strings (x86 x86_64 armhf aarch64 ppc64le s390x noarch).

NAK.  We want to allow third parties to use abuild for architectures
we may not necessarily support upstream.

> This will prevent errors like setting unsupported archs.
> https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/blob/master/main/yaboot/APKBUILD#L8

powerpc arch is supported by abuild, we are just not presently
building it, as the hardware I had for it failed.
Although we may use ppc32 instead to be more in line with the ppc64le
nomenclature.

> And also help with typos.
> https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/commit/58a2da0b213c969c00c1014552992c415f7a6610

William

Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi>
<20170622093517.5cc772b1@vostro.util.wtbts.net>
In-Reply-To
<CA+T2pCHkR-xBAStmtv4_8Hm_M6LBMWrzMsH-f189zbPcBTvs4A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 20:30:01 -0500
William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Tmp File <tmpfile@mail.com> wrote:
> > Alpiners,
> >
> > I suggest abuild stops to accept anything as an architecture.
> > Instead it should only accept a few whitelisted strings (x86 x86_64
> > armhf aarch64 ppc64le s390x noarch).
>
> NAK.  We want to allow third parties to use abuild for architectures
> we may not necessarily support upstream.
>
> > This will prevent errors like setting unsupported archs.
> > https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/blob/master/main/yaboot/APKBUILD#L8
>
> powerpc arch is supported by abuild, we are just not presently
> building it, as the hardware I had for it failed.
> Although we may use ppc32 instead to be more in line with the ppc64le
> nomenclature.
>
> > And also help with typos.
> > https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/commit/58a2da0b213c969c00c1014552992c415f7a6610

I think abuild should complain with warning about architectures that it
does not know about to catch these typoes. But it should not be hard
failure. Some of those are intentional :)

Feel free to send abuild patch that makes it a warning. But make sure
it's not custom whitelist, it should instead be using
arch_to_hostspec() from functions.sh. And additionally whitelist
noarch and all.

Thanks,
Timo