[alpine-devel] rEFInd, Alpine, and luks

<e6be48d6-dda5-7220-a333-314079a5a517@magickarpet.org>
Hello list,

I am booting Alpine on a laptop via rEFInd off an encrypted volume
(LUKS), and it works fine, but I hit a minor annoyance: the password
prompt doesn't show up, even if the system is waiting for one. I suspect
this is related to how/when the screen is refreshing or changing
resolution during the booting process. As a result, I need to wait for
"a certain time", enter my password blindly, and hope I haven't entered
it too early.

I have recorded a video to help with the description:
https://youtu.be/mvAlxsDeeDs

Despite searching on Web, I couldn't find a reference of someone running
into the same issue, so I'm asking here: Any suggestion on what to do
next to fix this?

Some distributions show a splash screen and prompt for a password to
decrypt the volume after, and I suspect this refreshes the screen in a
manner that would sort this issue. Any idea how to do that with Alpine?

Thanks for reading.

--
Étienne

Bruno d'Arcangeli <bruno@arcangeli.org>
<20170916154817.c3vqck36etcwc72l@arcangeli.org>
In-Reply-To
<e6be48d6-dda5-7220-a333-314079a5a517@magickarpet.org> (view parent)
Le Saturday 16 Sep 2017 à 15:26:19 (+0100), Etienne a écrit:
> Hello list,
>
> I am booting Alpine on a laptop via rEFInd off an encrypted volume (LUKS),
> and it works fine, but I hit a minor annoyance: the password prompt doesn't
> show up, even if the system is waiting for one. I suspect this is related to
> how/when the screen is refreshing or changing resolution during the booting
> process. As a result, I need to wait for "a certain time", enter my password
> blindly, and hope I haven't entered it too early.
>
> I have recorded a video to help with the description:
> https://youtu.be/mvAlxsDeeDs
>
> Despite searching on Web, I couldn't find a reference of someone running
> into the same issue, so I'm asking here: Any suggestion on what to do next
> to fix this?

You may try to boot your kernel with the "nomodeset" option. For adding
it to rEFInd:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd#Passing_kernel_parameters

--
Blog ARM à la sauce Linux ultra légère:
http://www.arcangeli.org
On 16/09/17 16:48, Bruno d'Arcangeli wrote:
> Le Saturday 16 Sep 2017 à 15:26:19 (+0100), Etienne a écrit:
>> I have recorded a video to help with the description:
>> https://youtu.be/mvAlxsDeeDs
>>
>> Despite searching on Web, I couldn't find a reference of someone running
>> into the same issue, so I'm asking here: Any suggestion on what to do next
>> to fix this?
> You may try to boot your kernel with the "nomodeset" option. For adding
> it to rEFInd:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd#Passing_kernel_parameters

Ah, thanks, but although it's not visible in the video, I have already
tried that, with no difference in the result.

--
Étienne

Re: [alpine-devel] [solved] rEFInd, Alpine, and luks

Kevin Gallagher <kevingallagher@gmail.com>
<7cc2a6a6-2985-f5f1-fe25-3ad2aac12532@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<51634a02-3176-e506-9793-8ef1a38234c3@magickarpet.org> (view parent)
Still suggests there's a bug somewhere...

<3e4bc63b-67bb-d5b8-99e8-425b11119b4f@magickarpet.org> (view parent)