[alpine-devel] Huh? Error reporter did not find the broken constraints.

<20171231150048.044adbf9@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>

after I upgraded apk to 2.9.0 on my work desktop I get the following error:

ncopa-desktop:~$ sudo apk upgrade -U -a
fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
  Huh? Error reporter did not find the broken constraints.

I have tried to delete some of the --virtual package I had installed but it didn't solve anything.

I idea how to troubleshoot this?

I have attached my /etc/apk/world

-nc
William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
<CA+T2pCHvW0jHRDQoZWzhmTkKfrB+9ZRQJRJvdD6bmw7Paw_w2g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20171231150048.044adbf9@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
Hello,

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after I upgraded apk to 2.9.0 on my work desktop I get the following error:
>
> ncopa-desktop:~$ sudo apk upgrade -U -a
> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
> ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
>   Huh? Error reporter did not find the broken constraints.

Can you rebuild apk-tools with -DDEBUG_PRINT in the CFLAGS?
Then redo the transaction and send the output to this list.  Thanks!

A copy of the installed DB would also be helpful here.

It is indeed probably due to a --virtual with unsatisfiable
constraints; you still have 4, so maybe you could keep removing them.

William

<trinity-4d8df699-ae99-48ba-922b-63e01c2b4f27-1514741732824@3c-app-mailcom-lxa05>
In-Reply-To
<20171231150048.044adbf9@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
You can use this script to find out what's the package that gives the error.

#!/bin/sh
for i in $(cat /etc/apk/world)
do
        printf "%s: " "$i" >> file 2>&1
        sudo apk add $i --no-progress >> file 2>&1
done
grep "ERROR" file

This error was noticed before by postmarketOS.
https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap/issues/952
They didn't find solutions yet.

> Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM
> From: "Natanael Copa" <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>
> To: "Alpine Development" <alpine-devel@lists.alpinelinux.org>
> Subject: [alpine-devel] Huh? Error reporter did not find the broken constraints.
>
> Hi,
>
> after I upgraded apk to 2.9.0 on my work desktop I get the following error:
>
> ncopa-desktop:~$ sudo apk upgrade -U -a
> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
> ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
>   Huh? Error reporter did not find the broken constraints.
>

> I have tried to delete some of the --virtual package I had installed but it didn't solve anything.
>
> I idea how to troubleshoot this?
>
> I have attached my /etc/apk/world
>
> -nc

William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
<CA+T2pCFkDvbOAUipMkiT8=otLwBJ9_9DBzXehn+NS9ppeNiD-g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<6bf51851-79fa-b9ff-3b0d-182358565e75@bitmessage.ch> (view parent)
Hello,

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 7:19 PM, Oliver Smith
<ollieparanoid@bitmessage.ch> wrote:
> Sorry for not reporting it yet.
>
> In our case the bug was triggered by a "dbus-nox11" package we created - probably because it ended up providing the same "so:..." dependency as the official "dbus" package. It worked fine, and at some point (maybe after an apk upgrade?) the package didn't work anymore - after we removed it, it worked again.
>
> If it helps with debugging/fixing this issue, I could try to reproduce the way the bug affected us, and provide apk's installed DB.

I think I can create a reproducer.  I will do it after I finish cooking dinner.

William

William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
<CA+T2pCF4k2P4w38br4ayjM3_i1QZyeS6yy6y4LKpdkpkbgv0TQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CA+T2pCFkDvbOAUipMkiT8=otLwBJ9_9DBzXehn+NS9ppeNiD-g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello,

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:26 PM, William Pitcock
<nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 7:19 PM, Oliver Smith
> <ollieparanoid@bitmessage.ch> wrote:
>> Sorry for not reporting it yet.
>>
>> In our case the bug was triggered by a "dbus-nox11" package we created - probably because it ended up providing the same "so:..." dependency as the official "dbus" package. It worked fine, and at some point (maybe after an apk upgrade?) the package didn't work anymore - after we removed it, it worked again.
>>
>> If it helps with debugging/fixing this issue, I could try to reproduce the way the bug affected us, and provide apk's installed DB.
>
> I think I can create a reproducer.  I will do it after I finish cooking dinner.

Unfortunately based on this data, I was unable to create a testcase.

Adding two packages resulted in an unsatisfiable constraints problem,
but it explained what the problem was (that it wanted the user to
choose a provider).
I did add those testcases to apk-tools git if you would like to look at them...

Could somebody reproduce the failure with apk-tools git compiled with
debug printing enabled?

Thanks in advance!

William

<trinity-4d8df699-ae99-48ba-922b-63e01c2b4f27-1514741732824@3c-app-mailcom-lxa05> (view parent)
Sorry for not reporting it yet.

In our case the bug was triggered by a "dbus-nox11" package we created - probably because it ended up providing the same "so:..." dependency as the official "dbus" package. It worked fine, and at some point (maybe after an apk upgrade?) the package didn't work anymore - after we removed it, it worked again.

If it helps with debugging/fixing this issue, I could try to reproduce the way the bug affected us, and provide apk's installed DB.

Thanks,
Oliver

Tmp File:
> You can use this script to find out what's the package that gives the error.
>

> #!/bin/sh
> for i in $(cat /etc/apk/world)
> do
>         printf "%s: " "$i" >> file 2>&1
>         sudo apk add $i --no-progress >> file 2>&1
> done
> grep "ERROR" file
>

> This error was noticed before by postmarketOS.
> https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap/issues/952
> They didn't find solutions yet.
>

>> Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM
>> From: "Natanael Copa" <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>
>> To: "Alpine Development" <alpine-devel@lists.alpinelinux.org>
>> Subject: [alpine-devel] Huh? Error reporter did not find the broken constraints.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> after I upgraded apk to 2.9.0 on my work desktop I get the following error:
>>
>> ncopa-desktop:~$ sudo apk upgrade -U -a
>> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
>> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
>> fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
>> ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
>>   Huh? Error reporter did not find the broken constraints.
>>

>> I have tried to delete some of the --virtual package I had installed but it didn't solve anything.
>>
>> I idea how to troubleshoot this?
>>
>> I have attached my /etc/apk/world
>>
>> -nc
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

<20180102105540.2d175048@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<CA+T2pCF4k2P4w38br4ayjM3_i1QZyeS6yy6y4LKpdkpkbgv0TQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 22:49:07 -0600
William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:26 PM, William Pitcock
> <nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 7:19 PM, Oliver Smith
> > <ollieparanoid@bitmessage.ch> wrote:
> >> Sorry for not reporting it yet.
> >>
> >> In our case the bug was triggered by a "dbus-nox11" package we created - probably because it ended up providing the same "so:..." dependency as the official "dbus" package. It worked fine, and at some point (maybe after an apk upgrade?) the package didn't work anymore - after we removed it, it worked again.
> >>
> >> If it helps with debugging/fixing this issue, I could try to reproduce the way the bug affected us, and provide apk's installed DB.
> >
> > I think I can create a reproducer.  I will do it after I finish cooking dinner.
>
> Unfortunately based on this data, I was unable to create a testcase.
>
> Adding two packages resulted in an unsatisfiable constraints problem,
> but it explained what the problem was (that it wanted the user to
> choose a provider).
> I did add those testcases to apk-tools git if you would like to look at them...
>
> Could somebody reproduce the failure with apk-tools git compiled with
> debug printing enabled?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I have attached output from debug print.

Thanks!

<20180102112340.2a2b3881@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw>
In-Reply-To
<20180102105540.2d175048@ncopa-desktop.copa.dup.pw> (view parent)
On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 10:55:40 +0100
Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 22:49:07 -0600
> William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:26 PM, William Pitcock
> > <nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:
> > > Hello,

> > > I think I can create a reproducer.  I will do it after I finish cooking dinner.
> >
> > Unfortunately based on this data, I was unable to create a testcase.
> >
> > Adding two packages resulted in an unsatisfiable constraints problem,
> > but it explained what the problem was (that it wanted the user to
> > choose a provider).
> > I did add those testcases to apk-tools git if you would like to look at them...
> >
> > Could somebody reproduce the failure with apk-tools git compiled with
> > debug printing enabled?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> I have attached output from debug print.

The problem is nvme-cli.

ERROR PKG: nvme-cli: conflict: same name provided

It seems that it comes from a local repository /home/ncopa/packages/testing where I have an older version of nvme-cli:

$ tar -O -zxf /home/ncopa/packages/testing/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz APKINDEX | grep -w -A 15  P:nvme-cli
P:nvme-cli
V:1.1-r0