[alpine-devel] Building cross compilers possible?

Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell@fangorn.ch>
<20180416214354.GC4949@vimes.1042.ch>
Hi

I see binutils and gcc support CTARGET in the APKBUILD files. I
naively tried:

    cd main/binutils
    CTARGET=armhf abuild -r

Which fails with:

    build-base-armhf (missing)

I tried a few more things (for example faking a build-base-armhf), but
nothing worked. Is it possible to build an armhf compiler on x86_64
using abuild? How? At least abuild -h suggests that it is possible.

My archive and web-search didn't yield anything useful.

Best,
    Jean-Louis

<d6c60417-0001-a2c5-d37a-5644c5a1af9a@adelielinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<20180416214354.GC4949@vimes.1042.ch> (view parent)
On 04/16/18 16:43, Jean-Louis Fuchs wrote:
> Hi
>
> I see binutils and gcc support CTARGET in the APKBUILD files. I
> naively tried:
>
>     cd main/binutils
>     CTARGET=armhf abuild -r
>
> Which fails with:
>
>     build-base-armhf (missing)
>
> I tried a few more things (for example faking a build-base-armhf), but
> nothing worked. Is it possible to build an armhf compiler on x86_64
> using abuild? How? At least abuild -h suggests that it is possible.
>
> My archive and web-search didn't yield anything useful.
>
> Best,
>     Jean-Louis

What you really want is bootstrap.sh in the scripts/ directory of
aports.git.  It will generate a cross-compiler and all the basic
utilities you need to run a development environment on another CPU
target.  (If you use it with qemu-user, you might even be able to poorly
investigate the resultant binaries using a chroot.)

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)