[alpine-devel] Julia missing from alpine v3.8

<OwN3y2pl_tZJPsvRihZHcRv0VpK7xW-sozQrzgTRySjBThFTr7n4bJHcKO5IMjcaDR4uQg0ynBYwhZhclh5dTKYdScgxOHGq4xRBrBHcCkk=@protonmail.com>
Hallo.
I used Julia on alpine from version 3.7 but after a clean install for the new release (3.8) it's not installable anymore.
And I was really looking forward to it because now Julia finally got to the stable 1.0 release.
I will appreciate any help to have it available.
Regards.
Ecs

Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell@fangorn.ch>
<1535967427.2894146.1494851992.1C38456F@webmail.messagingengine.com>
In-Reply-To
<OwN3y2pl_tZJPsvRihZHcRv0VpK7xW-sozQrzgTRySjBThFTr7n4bJHcKO5IMjcaDR4uQg0ynBYwhZhclh5dTKYdScgxOHGq4xRBrBHcCkk=@protonmail.com> (view parent)
Hi ecsx

It was moved because it was not maintained:

> commit b007fd689eb3bdc8520590b1956241e997016233
> Author: Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org>
> Date:   Wed Jun 6 13:46:39 2018 +0000
>
>    unmaintained/julia: move from community
>
>    the tests fails. move it to unmaintained til maintainer takes a look at it

It has a lot patches and seems rather fragile. I check if 1.0 less fragile, but no promises. You can at least build the version that is in unmaintained by commenting out the check() function and the do abuild -r (I tested that).

Best,
   Jean-Louis

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, at 22:44, ecsx wrote:
> Hallo.
> I used Julia on alpine from version 3.7 but after a clean install for
> the new release (3.8) it's not installable anymore.
> And I was really looking forward to it because now Julia finally got to
> the stable 1.0 release.
> I will appreciate any help to have it available.
> Regards.
> Ecs
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell@fangorn.ch>
<1536098423.3081610.1496826688.060747A7@webmail.messagingengine.com>
In-Reply-To
<1535967427.2894146.1494851992.1C38456F@webmail.messagingengine.com> (view parent)
Hi ecsx

> It has a lot patches and seems rather fragile. I check if 1.0 less
> fragile, but no promises.

It seems they added even more non-standard procedures to their build-system. One can waste a lot of time on this apk. Since I don't use julia, I'm out.

Best,
    Jean-Louis

<zyfiPAQU41-0bv54L1BqzxEpxDQSHwmVT97LjhK4u3BDEs35JVf0oqSvFClzUMwt2nYU7XB3mS0d5dGolU-Ynf_YSmFboTtc83DaabkRcsk=@protonmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<1536098423.3081610.1496826688.060747A7@webmail.messagingengine.com> (view parent)
Hi Jean.
What's non-standard about it?
Could we propose a patch or at least report upstream?
Thank you.
All the best.

> > It has a lot patches and seems rather fragile. I check if 1.0 less
> > fragile, but no promises.
>
> It seems they added even more non-standard procedures to their build-system. One can waste a lot of time on this apk. Since I don't use julia, I'm out.
>
> Best,
> Jean-Louis

<idcdrW7HL_mjOl_XFpC22S5zg_fk1T2h9SuB9kkVyijJndUsJptbPy2bAyxnYvKNEQTg_TKKeoqQ1VUfqqG6fJowbwhfirQsFcI8948HItg=@protonmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<1536412790.2815508.1501150232.241916D8@webmail.messagingengine.com> (view parent)
It's unfortunate but I don't know much about build systems either. I couldn't help anyway.

All I wanted was to use Julia like I did on Alpine v3.7.
I'm even considering going back from Alpine v3.8 to v3.7 because I need Julia for an university course.

But thanks for the help!