Re: [alpine-devel] Proposal: Multi-Arch matrix builds on travis-ci

Michael Wyraz <michael@wyraz.de>
<e8775f45-adff-2a6b-1a4d-ed7e5094ad56@wyraz.de>
Manjunath,

I saw that error - it should be fixed in later qemu versions but I did
not had enough time to get it running on travis' old Ubuntu (would need
to be backported).

Before I spend lot of time in this idea, I'd first like to hear what
devs say about it.

Regards,

Michael.

> I love to see something like this working in Travis to avoid
> dependency on the native requirement, but I see following error in arm
> emulation mode:
> https://travis-ci.org/micw/aports/jobs/430225451#L836
> Generating RSA private key, 2048 bit long modulus
> qemu: Unsupported syscall: 384
> Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0xffffffff80045200
> This basically means that qemu failed to emulate one of that
> instruction on amd64 architecture, but I'm not sure which command
> threw this error message and how that script exited without any error.
> Thanks,
> Manjunath.

Jakub Jirutka <jakub@jirutka.cz>
<63122645-4b33-c850-b30c-af77519f5f2d@jirutka.cz>
In-Reply-To
<e8775f45-adff-2a6b-1a4d-ed7e5094ad56@wyraz.de> (view parent)

I'm sorry to say that, but you're kinda reinventing the wheel. This
exact approach is already used in [alpine-chroot-install], which is used
e.g. for building static binaries in [apk-tools] repository.

I didn't use it in aports intentionally, because it's *very* slow. Many
aports would fail to build due to exceeding the time limit (50 minutes)
and it would significantly increase waiting time for all builds (due to
exhausted job queue).

This is not the way to go. The better way is to migrate to a self-hosted
CI with builders on various architectures. For example sr.ht proposed by
Drew DeVault looks very promising.

 >> Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0xffffffff80045200

See the note in [1].

Jakub

[alpine-chroot-install]:
https://github.com/alpinelinux/alpine-chroot-install
[apk-tools]: https://github.com/alpinelinux/apk-tools
[1]: https://github.com/alpinelinux/alpine-chroot-install#requirements

On 9/19/18 6:19 AM, Michael Wyraz wrote:
> Manjunath,
>
> I saw that error - it should be fixed in later qemu versions but I did
> not had enough time to get it running on travis' old Ubuntu (would need
> to be backported).
>
> Before I spend lot of time in this idea, I'd first like to hear what
> devs say about it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael.
>

>> I love to see something like this working in Travis to avoid
>> dependency on the native requirement, but I see following error in arm
>> emulation mode:
>> https://travis-ci.org/micw/aports/jobs/430225451#L836
>> Generating RSA private key, 2048 bit long modulus
>> qemu: Unsupported syscall: 384
>> Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0xffffffff80045200
>> This basically means that qemu failed to emulate one of that
>> instruction on amd64 architecture, but I'm not sure which command
>> threw this error message and how that script exited without any error.
>> Thanks,
>> Manjunath.

<c9d8df15-2483-e2b8-8189-f2178de8f982@wyraz.de>
In-Reply-To
<63122645-4b33-c850-b30c-af77519f5f2d@jirutka.cz> (view parent)
Hallo Jakub,

thanks for the information. The time was not wasted, I learned a lot
about aport build environment and binfmt ;-)

Did you do any performance tests to verify how slow it actually is?

IMO we should provide an easy way for devs to test-build for different
arches to reduce the hurdle to provide patches and pull requests (which
is IMO _way_ to high because it needs an alpine setup and many manual
steps, even for native builds). So if travis is not the way to go and
unless we have something else, maybe we can find another way to provide
this (maybe using docker?)

Michael.

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry to say that, but you're kinda reinventing the wheel. This
> exact approach is already used in [alpine-chroot-install], which is
> used e.g. for building static binaries in [apk-tools] repository.
>
> I didn't use it in aports intentionally, because it's *very* slow.
> Many aports would fail to build due to exceeding the time limit (50
> minutes) and it would significantly increase waiting time for all
> builds (due to exhausted job queue).
>
> This is not the way to go. The better way is to migrate to a
> self-hosted CI with builders on various architectures. For example
> sr.ht proposed by Drew DeVault looks very promising.
>
> >> Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0xffffffff80045200
>
> See the note in [1].
>
> Jakub
>
> [alpine-chroot-install]:
> https://github.com/alpinelinux/alpine-chroot-install
> [apk-tools]: https://github.com/alpinelinux/apk-tools
> [1]: https://github.com/alpinelinux/alpine-chroot-install#requirements
>
> On 9/19/18 6:19 AM, Michael Wyraz wrote:
>> Manjunath,
>>
>> I saw that error - it should be fixed in later qemu versions but I
>> did not had enough time to get it running on travis' old Ubuntu
>> (would need to be backported).
>>
>> Before I spend lot of time in this idea, I'd first like to hear what
>> devs say about it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael.
>>

>>> I love to see something like this working in Travis to avoid
>>> dependency on the native requirement, but I see following error in
>>> arm emulation mode:
>>> https://travis-ci.org/micw/aports/jobs/430225451#L836
>>> Generating RSA private key, 2048 bit long modulus
>>> qemu: Unsupported syscall: 384
>>> Unsupported ioctl: cmd=0xffffffff80045200
>>> This basically means that qemu failed to emulate one of that
>>> instruction on amd64 architecture, but I'm not sure which command
>>> threw this error message and how that script exited without any error.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Manjunath.

<cb964cf6-c5cd-f823-755b-00b7508543f6@wyraz.de>
In-Reply-To
<c9d8df15-2483-e2b8-8189-f2178de8f982@wyraz.de> (view parent)
I did some performance tests with my cups-epson-escpr pull request:

x86_64: 48s

armhf via qemu: 334s

So it looks that the emulation is out of question for automated CI.

<47deb02f-93f6-b6a0-1429-660c7e4cc575@bitmessage.ch>
In-Reply-To
<c9d8df15-2483-e2b8-8189-f2178de8f982@wyraz.de> (view parent)
Michael Wyraz:
> IMO we should provide an easy way for devs to test-build for different
> arches to reduce the hurdle to provide patches and pull requests (which
> is IMO _way_ to high because it needs an alpine setup and many manual
> steps, even for native builds). So if travis is not the way to go and
> unless we have something else, maybe we can find another way to provide
> this (maybe using docker?)

FWIW, pmbootstrap can do this (although the main purpose of the tool is
postmarketOS development).

Run this on any Linux distribution with Python and openssl installed,
and you're ready to compile - and cross compile - Alpine packages:

$ git clone https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap.git
$ cd pmbootstrap
$ ./pmbootstrap.py init
$ ./pmbootstrap.py build --arch=armhf hello-world

there's also:
$ ./pmbootstrap.py checksum hello-world
$ ./pmbootstrap.py newapkbuild -h

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: [alpine-devel] Proposal: Multi-Arch matrix builds on travis-ci

Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell@fangorn.ch>
<1537559060.3146069.1516423416.0F09A000@webmail.messagingengine.com>
In-Reply-To
<63122645-4b33-c850-b30c-af77519f5f2d@jirutka.cz> (view parent)
Hi

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, at 11:17, Jakub Jirutka wrote:

> I didn't use it in aports intentionally, because it's *very* slow. Many
> aports would fail to build due to exceeding the time limit (50 minutes)
> and it would significantly increase waiting time for all builds (due to
> exhausted job queue).

There was or is bug in qemu-user-static, that made it terribly slow.  This version:

$> ./qemu-arm-static --version
qemu-arm version 2.9.1(qemu-2.9.1-2.fc26)

is definitely ok, I haven't tested any newer ones. In my opinion most builds should not fail due time limit on travis. BUT the tests sometimes do, after all its not the correct kernel. I am moving towards qemu-system using netboot for my development. netboot boots surprisingly consistent across architectures. You can append apkovl= to provision the VM.

Best,
   Jean-Louis

Re: [alpine-devel] Proposal: Multi-Arch matrix builds on travis-ci

Michael Wyraz <michael@wyraz.de>
<5a748347-ceeb-45cd-805d-a6917569b3b2@wyraz.de>
In-Reply-To
<1537559060.3146069.1516423416.0F09A000@webmail.messagingengine.com> (view parent)
I did my tests with QEMU 3.0:

x86_64: 48s
armhf via qemu: 334s

so far away from "ok" ;-/

Am 21.09.18 um 21:44 schrieb Jean-Louis Fuchs:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, at 11:17, Jakub Jirutka wrote:
>
>> I didn't use it in aports intentionally, because it's *very* slow. Many
>> aports would fail to build due to exceeding the time limit (50 minutes)
>> and it would significantly increase waiting time for all builds (due to
>> exhausted job queue).
> There was or is bug in qemu-user-static, that made it terribly slow.  This version:
>
> $> ./qemu-arm-static --version
> qemu-arm version 2.9.1(qemu-2.9.1-2.fc26)
>
> is definitely ok, I haven't tested any newer ones. In my opinion most builds should not fail due time limit on travis. BUT the tests sometimes do, after all its not the correct kernel. I am moving towards qemu-system using netboot for my development. netboot boots surprisingly consistent across architectures. You can append apkovl= to provision the VM.
>
> Best,
>     Jean-Louis
>

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

Re: [alpine-devel] Proposal: Multi-Arch matrix builds on travis-ci

Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell@fangorn.ch>
<1537562982.3161595.1516487816.58F6A81D@webmail.messagingengine.com>
In-Reply-To
<5a748347-ceeb-45cd-805d-a6917569b3b2@wyraz.de> (view parent)
If you have the bug the ratio is far worse. You can use top to detemine
it, you‘d get like 1-10% for a build that uses all cores on x86.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018, at 22:10, Michael Wyraz wrote:
> I did my tests with QEMU 3.0:
>
> x86_64: 48s
> armhf via qemu: 334s
>
> so far away from "ok" ;-/
>
> Am 21.09.18 um 21:44 schrieb Jean-Louis Fuchs:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, at 11:17, Jakub Jirutka wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't use it in aports intentionally, because it's *very*
> >> slow. Many> >> aports would fail to build due to exceeding the time limit (50
> >> minutes)> >> and it would significantly increase waiting time for all builds
> >> (due to> >> exhausted job queue).
> > There was or is bug in qemu-user-static, that made it terribly slow.
> > This version:> >
> > $> ./qemu-arm-static --version
> > qemu-arm version 2.9.1(qemu-2.9.1-2.fc26)
> >
> > is definitely ok, I haven't tested any newer ones. In my opinion
> > most builds should not fail due time limit on travis. BUT the tests
> > sometimes do, after all its not the correct kernel. I am moving
> > towards qemu-system using netboot for my development. netboot boots
> > surprisingly consistent across architectures. You can append apkovl=
> > to provision the VM.> >
> > Best,
> >     Jean-Louis
> >

> > ---
> > Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> > Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> > ---
> >

> ---
> Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
> Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
> ---

[alpine-devel] Easy build using docker (was: Proposal: Multi-Arch matrix builds on travis-ci)

Michael Wyraz <michael@wyraz.de>
<d2ae4a8c-bfe0-2cdf-823a-77b07e07b820@wyraz.de>
In-Reply-To
<1537562982.3161595.1516487816.58F6A81D@webmail.messagingengine.com> (view parent)
Hello devs,

to allow easy building of packages for different archs, i have put
everthing that is required into docker images and wrote a small wrapper
script. Please have a look into it and let me know what you think about it.

My primary goal was to enable everyone who wants to contribute to alpine
to checkout the aports, do some changes and test-build it locally with
minimal effort.

The wrapper script is at
https://gist.github.com/micw/87756e35d744e6784ce8d8c66e2619cb - it can
be put into the aports root directory and can simply be called with arch
and package.

Docker images for the first 2 arches are
https://hub.docker.com/r/micwy/aport-builder-x86_64/ and
https://hub.docker.com/r/micwy/aport-builder-armhf/ .

If you find this usefull, I'll document it a bit more, fine-tune the
wrapper script and create a PR to add it to the aports.

Regards,

Michael.

Re: [alpine-devel] Easy build using docker (was: Proposal: Multi-Arch matrix builds on travis-ci)

<CALdTKe_jAu2gsMtxag-UtYXP3RzJ_n-0Z+2mbE=wYRXOSYnP8g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<d2ae4a8c-bfe0-2cdf-823a-77b07e07b820@wyraz.de> (view parent)
Hi Michael,

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 at 09:10, Michael Wyraz <michael@wyraz.de> wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> to allow easy building of packages for different archs, i have put
> everthing that is required into docker images and wrote a small wrapper
> script. Please have a look into it and let me know what you think about it.
>
> My primary goal was to enable everyone who wants to contribute to alpine
> to checkout the aports, do some changes and test-build it locally with
> minimal effort.

It's interesting that you mentioned it, because yesterday I worked on
a similar project: https://github.com/myhro/alpine-builder

The only difference is that it doesn't support multiple architectures,
neither it relies on a shared image. But the goal is exactly the same
you described.

I have been doing Alpine packaging for less than a week, but already
seen how much easier the process can be when you use disposable build
environments.

Regards,
Tiago.

--