Re: [alpine-devel] Switching back to OpenSSL

From: Francesco Colista <fcolista_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 06:20:19 +0000

October 11, 2018 3:17 PM, "Natanael Copa" <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote: > Hi, > > Are there any good reasons to not switch back to OpenSSL for v3.9? > > Some reasons why I think we should switch back to OpenSSL: > - better upstream support from projects > - To my understanding, various of the issues in OpenSSL that made us > switch to libressl have been resolved. (for example memory management) > - libressl failed to retain compability with OpenSSL > - libressl breaks ABI every 6 months, OpenSSL does not > - FIPS support > > Some reasons to why we may continue with libressl may be: > - its smaller > - has fewer CVEs (due to their approach to remove stuff) > - libtls +1 to switch back to openssl. Reasons to come back are totally valid (an more) compared with the pros in having libressl. Thanks. .: Francesco Colista