[alpine-devel] Re: openrc crashes

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 19:11:15 +0100

Hello Phil.

Phil Hofer wrote in <F9zS9AxnlZczhqhPenmGcQsk5Kbp-FOF-1hFiyUW2Phwc4FbTe-\
mtNPr9KVaC8LBT2AochKodG2j5RxEO14BJAmrjxe6jR5nNcQ6FkMc__U=_at_sunfi.sh>:
 |I ran into some crashes in openrc recently as well.
 |(Once I ran my reproducer in gdb, I saw that openrc was tripping
 |the stack-smashing protector.)
 |
 |I went through the source and made some reliability fixes,
 |which have now been committed upstream:
 |
 |846e46 -- fix 4 out-of-bounds reads
 |084877 -- fix stack buffer overrun (my issue)
 |a9fc26 -- fix NULL dereference

I see. Good to know someone cared for crashes there!

 |Try building the latest version of openrc and see
 |if your issues persist. (You'll have to take some patches
 |from aports in order for it to build cleanly, or you
 |can build from my aports tree:
 |https://github.com/philhofer/aports/tree/master/main/openrc)
 |
 |If you're able to reproduce a crash locally, run the
 |reproducer under gdb and see if you can at least grab
 |a stack trace. Building with some hardening options turned
 |on will help crash the program closer to the memory corruption.

Oh! Oh! Here i have to disappoint you, i am afraid: i will wait
for binary updates to sail in. The pain is not large enough
(especially now that i have a workaround for next time), and
i truly hate debuggers from the deepest corner of my heart! I do
not have one, and i do not know how to use them. (That is, maybe
a dozen times, but not that much more in my life, break+stepi?
Insufficient knowledge!)
But i will be happy once it comes in!

--steffen