Subject: Alpine 3.18.0 released

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 23:24:52 +0200

Subject: Alpine Linux 3.18.0 Released

Dear all,

We are excited to announce the release of Alpine Linux 3.18.0, the
first in the v3.18 stable series.

Highlights:
- Linux kernel 6.1 - with signed kernel modules
- musl libc 1.2.4 - now with TCP fallback in DNS resolver
- Python 3.11
- Ruby 3.2
- Node.js (current) 20.1
- GNOME 44
- Go 1.20
- KDE Plasma 5.27
- Rust 1.69
- Experimental support for unattended installs via tiny-cloud

Significant changes:
- Kernel modules are now signed. Verified modules are not enforced by
  default, so 3rd party modules with akms still works. 
- All packages for ppc64le, x86, and x86_64 was linked with DT_RELR.
  This should have reduced the size of compiled binaries.
- Python pre-compiled files (pyc) are now shipped in separate packages.
  It is now possible to avoid installing those and save space by doing
  "apk add !pyc".

Upgrade notes:
As always, make sure to use "apk upgrade --available" when switching
between major versions.

The full list of changes can be found in the wiki, git log and bug tracker.

Credits:
Thanks to everyone sending patches, bug reports, new and updated
aports, and to everyone helping with writing documentation, maintaining
the infrastructure, or contributing in any other way!

Thanks to GIGABYTE, Linode, Fastly, IBM, Equinix Metal, vpsFree and
ungleich for providing us with hardware and hosting.

For more information, please visit the links below:
- Release Notes for Alpine 3.18.0:
  https://alpinelinux.org/posts/Alpine-3.18.0-released.html
  https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Release_Notes_for_Alpine_3.18.0
- Git log for Alpine 3.18.0:
  https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/log/?h=v3.18.0
- Bug tracker for Alpine 3.18.0:
  https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=closed&milestone_title=3.18.0

Thank you,
Alpine Linux Team