Subject: Alpine Linux 3.24.0 Released

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2026 23:04:55 +0200

We are pleased to announce the release of Alpine Linux 3.24.0, the first
release in the v3.24 stable series.

Highlights
----------

* GRUB 2.14 - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2026-01/msg00029.html
* LLVM 22 - https://releases.llvm.org/22.1.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html
* Rust 1.96 - https://blog.rust-lang.org/2026/05/28/Rust-1.96.0/
* GNOME 50 - https://release.gnome.org/50/
* Go 1.26 - https://go.dev/blog/go1.26
* KDE Plasma 6.6 - https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/6/6.6.0/
* Qt 6.11 - https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-6.11-released
* Sway 1.12 - https://github.com/swaywm/sway/releases/tag/1.12
* nginx 1.30 - https://github.com/nginx/nginx/releases/tag/release-1.30.0

Significant changes
-------------------

### Python setuptools 82.0.0 removed pkg_resources

py3-setuptools has been upgraded to 82.0.0, which removed the deprecated
`pkg_resources` module. Projects that still depend on it will no longer
work and should migrate to its successors.

### qemu-binfmt service deprecated

The `qemu-binfmt` service from `qemu-openrc` is deprecated[1] in favor
of `binfmt.d` config files from user mode qemu packages combined with
the `binfmt` service.

[1]: https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/work_items/17751

### Installer improvements

The installer (`setup-alpine`) now supports the Limine boot loader[1]
has gained IPv6 support. When installing from a serial console, the boot
loader and kernel will automatically be configured with serial console
support, making headless setups smoother.

[1]: https://github.com/Limine-Bootloader/Limine

### COSMIC desktop

The COSMIC desktop environment by System76 is now available in the
community repository.

[1]: https://system76.com/cosmic

### GTK+ 3.0 moved to community

GTK+ 3.0 has been moved from main to the community repository.

### Package removals

Additional GTK 2 and Qt5 packages have been removed as part of ongoing
deprecation efforts. libsoup 2 has also been removed.

Upgrade notes
-------------

As always, make sure to use `apk upgrade --available` when switching between
major versions.

GRUB users must run `grub-install <device>` or `grub-install <efi-options>`
after upgrading to ensure the new GRUB version is properly installed to disk.

Users with / and /usr on separate filesystems (which is unsupported) need
take special care. See the wiki for details.

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Release_Notes_for_Alpine_3.24.0

Changes
-------

The full list of changes can be found in the wiki[1], git log[2] and
bug tracker[3].

Credits
-------

Thanks to everyone sending patches, bug reports, new and updated aports,
and to everyone helping with documentation, maintaining the infrastructure,
or contributing in any other way!

Thanks to GIGABYTE[4], Linode[5], Fastly[6], IBM[7], vpsFree[8],
AlpineLinuxSupport.com[9], CloudOn[10], Osso B.V.[11], HorizonIQ[12],
Cherry Servers[13] and NetMountains[14] for providing us with hardware
and hosting.

[1]: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Release_Notes_for_Alpine_3.24.0
[2]: https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/log/?h=v3.24.0
[3]: https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=closed&milestone_title=3.24.0
[4]: https://www.gigabyte.com/
[5]: https://linode.com
[6]: https://www.fastly.com/
[7]: https://ibm.com/
[8]: https://vpsfree.org
[9]: https://alpinelinuxsupport.com/
[10]: https://cloudon-one.com/
[11]: https://www.osso.nl/
[12]: https://www.horizoniq.com/
[13]: https://cherryservers.com/
[14]: https://netmountains.de/