Subject: [alpine-aports] Firefox 35.0 in edge missing fonts

From: Isaac Dunham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:49:32 -0800

Firefox 35.0 in edge has no text showing up in the search/url bar,
dropdowns, menus, or toolbars.

$ apk info |grep ttf
ttf-linux-libertine
ttf-freefont
ttf-liberation

$ firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 35.0

Screenshot attached.

I don't know what the cause is.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:32:08 +0100

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:49:32 -0800

> I don't know what the cause is.

What happens if you add ttf-dejavu?

It works here and I have:

$ apk info | grep ttf-
ttf-dejavu
ttf-liberation
ttf-freefont

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Isaac Dunham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 14:13:02 -0800

> It works here and I have:

Thanks for the suggestion, but that makes no difference.

I've heard of similar issues being caused by drivers that don't work
right with a particular toolkit in the past; I've got i945 graphics.
However, galculator (also gtk 2) doesn't have this issue.
I'm not aware of anything I can use to check if it's xulrunner in general,
but can't think of a reason why it would be.

My .gtkrc-2.0 contains only this line:
gtk-cursor-blink = 0

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:56:28 +0100

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 14:13:02 -0800

> but can't think of a reason why it would be.

It happens on my 86 netbook too.

Seems like this is an issue that affects 32 bit and it happens with
firefox-31.4.0 too.

Do you have any idea around what time it was introduced?

---

---

From: Isaac Dunham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:29:48 -0800

> Do you have any idea around what time it was introduced?

I'm not sure.
I reported it the day after I found it, but I'd gotten behind on updates...
within the last two weeks, I *think* (and certainly not more than 4 weeks).

I presume that said netbook is also Atom-based?

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:00:57 +0100

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:29:48 -0800

> I presume that said netbook is also Atom-based?

correct. Atom N570.

I tested to roll back to v3.1 and there it works just fine. So
something has happened the last 4 weeks that breaks font rendering on
x86.

This is the git log of the firefox dependency chain since 1 jan 2015:

4f883135004a3c584b2a9c05f5631875fd56c730 main/libdrm: upgrade to 2.4.59
117451da4a51fb4127e04ef17cc3cb1376c4bfcf main/sqlite: upgrade to 3.8.8.1
824111b465d20b5a16b45937c46e522f71ed1db9 main/bison: upgrade to 3.0.3
804229e60bab38da5498c95aae5721407421fa4a main/openssl: upgrade to 1.0.1l
b42a6d851aa51f9798a574da0bb16dde0f006289 main/libjpeg-turbo: upgrade to 1.4.0
d9a67ed0d4e40377586984b295883e767aa952cf main/llvm: upgrade to 3.5.1
23599729fc7d52d09510079b7ae6402da8388b68 main/firefox: upgrade to 31.4.0
96a641e14396f3ce136ddf81ce3a49508e297bb7 main/firefox: bsd-compat-headers build fix
2f3761dd7844610b10d944820a254e790cdc9f55 main/musl: upgrade to 1.1.6
9ce2af228e84ca9d75658fc8d2d51141a9d94983 main/mesa: upgrade to 10.4.2
3caa83ba81c5ac52f3e9790a75bc5b46568559a2 main/gtk+3.0: upgrade to 3.14.7
4e1c26859bba2d225feb0f22de9b90e624a795ba main/dbus: upgrade to 1.8.14
b09babb325a8060ef364573c641d895ae66221b1 main/bash: upgrade to 4.3.33
26dd384585d2182a35bd9450091726b6472b3b24 main/openssl: security upgrade to 1.0.1k
ed1246330575fabdb8aabc9f3d9cd40a47e1b177 Revert "main/openssl: upgrade to 1.0.1k"
9bb63edbc546e6253578e5050132c62839e84dff main/openssl: upgrade to 1.0.1k
99fc0aafe050da949421bbf4b61420f0b2b81d7f main/libffi: upgrade to 3.2.1
567d7024879a76137f028b7b5cd483c72de5bf76 main/gtk-doc: upgrade to 1.21
432afa09cf48f5e442c07ccaac65bd21989357aa main/xproto: upgrade to 7.0.27
c610663a741e45f88e4c45b5b65b73d9160ba62c main/automake: upgrade to 1.15
3ed44cc6e98ae0221e6fc73045a230b0d3b8ced8 main/doxygen: upgrade to 1.8.9.1
560cec31de32d6f9000efdee3fb3be27094a3abb main/freetype: upgrade to 2.5.5
a96d4f6959988790bf594ca8982dd73a2278a529 main/mesa: upgrade to 10.4.1
1b1758ebfd015a68627e333d5a885ebb6f933695 main/doxygen: upgrade to 1.8.9

-nc

---

---

From: Isaac Dunham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:15:39 -0800

> 1b1758ebfd015a68627e333d5a885ebb6f933695 main/doxygen: upgrade to 1.8.9

It's not libdrm: timing's wrong, and a manual downgrade doesn't solve it.

I'm getting Firefox 35 built with gtk2, not gtk3; that hasn't been
updated this year.
automake, bash, and doxygen aren't it.
openssl is almost certainly irrelevant.
I *think* the dbus upgrade was before it became an issue; mesa might be
the problem.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

---