Subject: [alpine-aports] I will be temporarily unable to maintain packages this summer

From: Isaac Dunham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:01:03 -0700

Hello,
This summer (starting mid-May or so), I probably won't be able to
contribute to Alpine.

I currently maintain the following packages:
motif xpdf ted
tk openblas py-tkinter py-cycler py-matplotlib py-scipy
sword biblesync xiphos
gifsicle
heirloom-mailx
icewm
brlaser
mdev-like-a-boss
otter-browser
I also contributed the hdf5, harminv, meep, and related packages.

Of these, otter-browser should probably go in unmaintained anyway;
openblas and the python packages are frequently used;
and the remainder are updated at relatively low frequency (sword and
xiphos being the most frequent, at roughly 1-2 times per year).

I should be able to pick up at least some of these in the fall.

Long explanation: I'll be busy making hay, running a steamer-baler
near Alturas.
The schedule is sunset till the dew's too heavy, and sunrise till the
temperature hits about 100 (F, not C); this works out to 12-14 hours a
day, every day, until the rain starts falling. That ends somewhere
around mid-October.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 19:45:58 +0200

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:01:03 -0700

> I should be able to pick up at least some of these in the fall.

Thank you for letting us know. We will try look after them meanwhile.

While at it, xiphos has a build time dependency of webkitgtk-dev. Could
you check if there are some way to replace that with webkit2gtk?
(webkit2, api 4.0). If not possible, is upstream working on it?

I'd like to get rid of webkitgtk, but evolution, geary, handbreak and
xiphos still needs it.

> day, every day, until the rain starts falling. That ends somewhere

Sounds fun!

I hope you come back in the fall 
> Isaac Dunham

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Jiri Horner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 20:26:29 +0200

>I'd like to get rid of webkitgtk, but evolution, geary, handbreak and

Arch have some builds with webkit2gtk [0]. Problem is that then you also need a 
gtkhtml4 for editing or something, which by itself is maybe even more obsolete 
than webkit. But it is arguably more lightweight. It would be the best, if it 
could work without gtkhtml.

>> day, every day, until the rain starts falling. That ends somewhere

Yes!

Cheers,
Jiri

[0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xiphos-gtk3/

---

---

From: Isaac Dunham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 23:17:40 -0700

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:26:29PM +0200, Jiri Horner wrote:
> Arch have some builds with webkit2gtk [0]. Problem is that then you also
> need a gtkhtml4 for editing or something, which by itself is maybe even more
> obsolete than webkit. But it is arguably more lightweight. It would be the
> best, if it could work without gtkhtml.

> [0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xiphos-gtk3/

A feature of Xiphos is the ability to write comments, and there's an editor
to do that in. Webkit 1 and gtkhtml are the only options (an HTML engine
is needed.)

Apparently one of the upstream developers looked at porting that from old
webkit to new webkit2, and gave up when he saw how much had changed in the
API.

On gtkhtml vs old webkit: I *think* the attack surface is a lot larger
with old webkit.

Thanks,
Isaac

PS: Somehow, I'm reminded that the new home of xiphos is
https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos
and I haven't updated the APKBUILD.

---