Subject: [alpine-devel] Alpine Linux project management

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 11:04:52 +0100

I'd like to express some thoughts of alpine linux project

First, things are going amazingly well with the new build environment.
We have many contributors building packages and things are goind alot
fater there than I ever expected. This means I can try focus on the
other missing parts. So thank you all, its very much appreciated!

What I think we would like to do now is build up the alpine community
and try organize this project a bit. things are getting bigger than I
are able to handle alone. Think we could have use for sub managers. I
suggest the following:

Infrastructure manager
======================
I would like to delegate the responsability for the infra structure.
With infrastructure I mean the tools and services that keeps Alpine
Linux projcet running. I'd like to see the different parts of
infrastructure be delegated to specific people and maybe have someone to
take the lead for the infrastructure. Those things does not require any
coding skills (some basic scripting skills might be handy though), but
genrally, its about having someone make sure the things are taken care
of, even ff that means pushing the people having the required skills.
Its a manager role.

It basicly means that someone makes sure that we have what we need: a
webserver for official site, a working bugtracker, wiki for user
documentation, mailinglists with accesible archives, official irc
channels (Carlo is taking care of that part) etc.

If somone want manage the infrastructure, then please let me know.
Otherwise I can do it. But it might be good that we get that written
down in an organisational chart something.

I would prefer that the infrastructure runs on Alpine. We should eat our
own dogfood if possible. If something else is required to make progress,
then I'm ok. I just prefer to eat my own dogfood whenever possible.
(example is dl-3 which does not run on alpine afaik. I'm fully ok with
that)

I think I'll mention the different parts of the infrastructure in a
separate email.

Official site / Documentation manager
=====================================
I would like someone take the lead for an official site and
documentation. This means someone with skills for organising web pages
make sure that our face to the world looks good. I'm thinking we shoudl
separate the official page and documentation. I think both could be a
wiki, but only alpien staff should be able to modify the official pages,
download links etc. The documentation coudl be on public wiki, but even
if it is, someone needs to take the lead there. Make sure that it looks
good and is useful.

This role does not need any programming skills. It might even be an
advantage that this person don't know how to program.
Sysadmin/integration skills might be useful but not really needed
either. In the end this task might even be setting up skeleton docs and
push me or someone else to write the contents. "Natanael, please explain
here <link to empty paragraph> how this and this works/shoudl work>"

The point is, someone shoudl be incharge of the site/documentation.
Might be it can be 2 separate things, but I would really really like
that someone else than me takes the responsability for the
documentation. Even when it is a wiki someone needs to take the lead.

Release engineering
===================
I will take care of this. It basicly means making sure that we have
releases, plan the tiem schedules etc and find the people needed to
fix/test things that needs to be fixed.

I think I would like to try some kind of timebased release scheme like
ubuntu does and have rolling releases in between. I'll explain more in
separate email later on.

Security manager
================
This role means following security lists and figure out what things
affects us. then take the neccessary steps to make sure those bugs are
fixed and make annoucements etc. I think we would need a security
mailing list and some kind of bug database. This roel does not really
require any coding skills either, but it requires interest for security
issues, bugs etc.

Are there something else we need?

To conclude: 

Any volunteers for documentation management?

Any volunteers for security management?

Thanks!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---