Subject: [alpine-devel] Postgres 8.4

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:35:35 +0200

Hi,

I'd just like to ask you what you think about upgrading default
postgresql package to 8.4?

I was thinking in the lines of having a pre-install script that checks
if 8.3 is installed an running and if so, aborts with the message
"please pgdump and stop the running postgres. once upgraded you need to
manually start and pgrestore" or similar.

Or do you think we should support having both installed in parallell?
I'm not sure its worth the extra work.

I'm asking you since you have been involved in postgres related
packages.

Thanks!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Cameron Banta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:29:31 -0500

> Hi,

Hello

> postgresql package to 8.4?

I think that's a good idea.

> manually start and pgrestore" or similar.

I see maybe an issue with those who use run off usb drive, but have data
installed on disk. They won't be able to upgrade by swapping the usb drive
any more. But they can update and then swap the usb drive.

> I'm not sure its worth the extra work.

I can't think of any big issues with just running the new version of
postgres. I think the biggest reason to support both is to make upgrading
easier for those with 8.3 already running.

-Cameron