Subject: [alpine-devel] RFC: how to deal with /etc/alpine-release

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 15:28:11 +0200

Hi,

http://redmine.alpinelinux.org/issues/418

Currently, the alpine-release is a symlink to a raw file on the cdrom.
once you have installed to disk the /etc/alpine-release link is broken.

I wonder how we deal with this?

some alternatives:

1: have a separate alpine-release package that only holds
the /etc/alpine-release file and nothing more.

2: add /etc/alpine-release to alpine-base package.

3: add /etc/alpine-release to alpine-baselayout package.

4: copy the .alpine-release file from cdrom/usb to / when doing
setup-disk.

options 1-3 means we need to modify the initramfs script to not copy
that file. (which i think is good). I think i prever either option #1 or
#2.

Other options or ideas?

Thanks!
-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Timo Teräs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 17:32:35 +0300

> I wonder how we deal with this?

Well, apk package index also provides similar information now. Apk could
update it on 'apk update' or 'apk upgrade' or so.

- Timo

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:00:34 +0200

> update it on 'apk update' or 'apk upgrade' or so.

Thats also an option. Not sure if I want that hardcoded in apk though.

Having it in a package would also update it with 'apk upgrade'. I think
that is how other distros do too. Fedora have fedora-release and debian
have base-files.

I think I'd like it in alpine-base, which kinda defines what is base
system is.

-nc

---