Subject: [alpine-devel] Kernel module request

From: Dubiousjim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:36:13 -0400

I don't know what policy is on when to add kernel modules to the default
builds. But at least I can ask, right? Every kernel upgrade, I have to
compile the kernel myself just to get a single module: the Elantech
trackpad driver for my Asus laptop. Might we roll this into the defaut
config?

diff --git a/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86
b/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86
index cd2cd89..597b97c 100644
--- a/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86
+++ b/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86
@@ -2571,7 +2571,7 @@ CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LOGIPS2PP=y
 CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
 CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LIFEBOOK=y
 CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TRACKPOINT=y
-# CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH is not set
+CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y
 # CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC is not set
 # CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TOUCHKIT is not set
 CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL=m
diff --git a/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86_64
b/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86_64
index 05e9586..b131b23 100644
--- a/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86_64
+++ b/main/linux-grsec/kernelconfig.x86_64
@@ -2546,7 +2546,7 @@ CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LOGIPS2PP=y
 CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
 CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LIFEBOOK=y
 CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TRACKPOINT=y
-# CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH is not set
+CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y
 # CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC is not set
 # CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TOUCHKIT is not set
 CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL=m
diff --git a/main/linux-grsec/APKBUILD b/main/linux-grsec/APKBUILD
index 84ad89a..46b6499 100644
--- a/main/linux-grsec/APKBUILD
+++ b/main/linux-grsec/APKBUILD
@@ -146,19 +146,19 @@ e282fcff76e975e121e0636018e31a56  patch-3.8.2.xz
 b7f8fd74ca2355e04bd6fb9761ff4b5f 
 grsecurity-2.9.1-3.8.2-201303102007.patch
 776adeeb5272093574f8836c5037dd7d 
 0004-arp-flush-arp-cache-on-device-change.patch
 eb332f6769f785a1c6b54b1f49ffd01a 
 usb-ehci-revert-remove-ass-pss-polling-timeout.patch
-3bcafb0c6230e2279930027e48162d0a  kernelconfig.x86
-653949f92e603ec35e072fbdc58a414b  kernelconfig.x86_64"
+2a2a92bd2d61aab6dcbca63f71656a16  kernelconfig.x86
+d83d92be6b82f9051ba3859b46b218d2  kernelconfig.x86_64"
 sha256sums="e070d1bdfbded5676a4f374721c63565f1c969466c5a3e214004a136b583184b
  linux-3.8.tar.xz
 2bd1a39db4608a03250bfef11d3b7894ab1f0ebcb5316bafeeed23535822fd9c 
 patch-3.8.2.xz
 13ba06a41de3198729867c7fe5741b01a138298bc1d973dfcd8a3bec80127d01 
 grsecurity-2.9.1-3.8.2-201303102007.patch
 e2d2d1503f53572c6a2e21da729a13a430dd01f510405ffb3a33b29208860bde 
 0004-arp-flush-arp-cache-on-device-change.patch
 949393b84740cfe8a0d72d391ca2a89d24aa425df27c031f121fec7f7f331eed 
 usb-ehci-revert-remove-ass-pss-polling-timeout.patch
-f4f752af87b802ddfa201392906c4b7ec14a2239e994abd3fb08068824477cb4 
kernelconfig.x86
-07e8251d7348414ee534d822fdf6561545309be87821032115d0161c443ad000 
kernelconfig.x86_64"
+99fa102c610377afd57967ec27575440828749dc6181687a913369aaedc8ee6d 
kernelconfig.x86
+001c3c99b8ec825e4811ccf08cd1abfc1dffb08eec237c537a894a0d05a16abe 
kernelconfig.x86_64"
 sha512sums="10a7983391af907d8aec72bdb096d1cabd4911985715e9ea13d35ff09095c035db15d4ab08b92eda7c10026cc27348cb9728c212335f7fcdcda7c610856ec30f
  linux-3.8.tar.xz
 752a122646261461da9238feeacc61ab787bea9999f066b056226387ce718da57592e536eb1c6aa28b949f0a7ad1fa97cc97204fdc3e8f3939d9b0d3b9517d03
  patch-3.8.2.xz
 4d7bf6b3635b9b6a673fd43eed6cd7f60ef18645b2447be521ac7e8fac9a8d6e38eba7d273dd654fad162c6171d0d5f8aa99b57662f669ff00dbede0626793de
  grsecurity-2.9.1-3.8.2-201303102007.patch
 b6fdf376009f0f0f3fa194cb11be97343e4d394cf5d3547de6cfca8ad619c5bd3f60719331fd8cfadc47f09d22be8376ba5f871b46b24887ea73fe47e233a54e
  0004-arp-flush-arp-cache-on-device-change.patch
 bb4576df6b5e029747975f5ed9d04c807d1bfd5e73f5418375f164a03342c15b2ca918e68bb6ff5bd0dc2fa8364e022aee18b254528210d2e24f8e06e6521609
  usb-ehci-revert-remove-ass-pss-polling-timeout.patch
-9a37f22bbab39e7a2a35258a5004ad52e7ec40d1cb7e0e61df3e7c278fd1e0163f196fbb0110ef34b1984c5fae409c57b870e689f955c8520c2b27aa0afe8247
 kernelconfig.x86
-e77717d46bdbb4bdf7d59a8ee9a9cf62f08b50f0e0b6dc3bf78cf007fce355b19a824205d1341bbb730708f5651f0b244d90d3b771b968b16af7ba4ca7ae8d58
 kernelconfig.x86_64"
+24974abeff3b8cf43f9b4f87b068d768c5877f3f193c4eee49400aaa1133f0a320b199098be6089c9873409fbb37e955e52e7693bcab6e6c4416816e999a4dea
 kernelconfig.x86
+35f6ab4a5843be0493531e58300bf10673ed0c8f98d93dd1f3d08a23591343bdbce682be0ef5444293c702ef71263b8ca2961b5d522737b01093687efcadc380
 kernelconfig.x86_64"

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:21:26 +0100

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:36:13 -0400
Dubiousjim <[email-masked]> wrote:

> builds.

The policy is approximately, enable things as modules that people might
need, otherwise disable and enable on request (as long as it does not
break things for others)

Bascially, I would like to avoid having things there that nobody uses
but on the other hand it is also nice if new users can just boot up and
i "just works".

> But at least I can ask, right? Every kernel upgrade, I have to

Ofcourse. You should have asked earlier.

I have enabled it and pushed. should be available in linux-grsec-3.8.2-r4

---