Subject: [alpine-devel] reorganized the package repository structure

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 16:04:06 +0000

Hi,

Just a heads up, I have moved the $mirror/alpine/edge/* files into
$mirror/alpine/edge/x86/ and created some symlinks so
current /etc/apk/repositories should not break. It would be good to
insert that x86 in there though. So recommended URL for edge is now:

http://$mirror/alpine/edge/x86/main
http://$mirror/alpine/edge/x86/testing

In (near?) future we will also have an x86_64 in there.

There are also a http://$mirror/alpine/edge/x86/releases dir which will
be used for edge snapshots.

Thanks!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Timo Teräs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:24:53 +0200

> be used for edge snapshots.

Oh.

I was thinking instead that we'd have:
http://$mirror/alpine/edge/main/x86
http://$mirror/alpine/edge/testing/x86

And that apk could automatically add the x86 or x86_64 based on the
running architecture. So we'd only put:
http://$mirror/alpine/edge/main
http://$mirror/alpine/edge/testing

I'd prefer if we would not have to change the apk repositories depending
on architecture.

- Timo

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:37:29 +0000

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:24:53 +0200
Timo Teräs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > There are also a http://$mirror/alpine/edge/x86/releases dir which
> > will be used for edge snapshots.
> 
> Oh.
> 
> I'd prefer if we would not have to change the apk repositories
> depending on architecture.

Which ofcourse is a good point. I changed it like that but changed it
back again because no existing apk-tools will currently handle that so
all current boxes running edge will break. Not breaking would require me
to maintain symlinks for each package and APKINDEX in edge/main/ that
points to x86 and I dont want that.

So here is what i did in alpine/edge dir:

The dirs that contains the packages:
x86/main
x86/testing
x86_64/main
x86_64/testing

Symlinks that makes sure current running boxes and future apk-tools dont
break:
main -> x86/main
testing -> x86/main

Symlinks that makes the future apk-tools work with edge/main/$arch
x86/main/x86 -> .
x86/testing/x86 -> .
x86/main/x86_64 -> ../../x86_64/main
x86/testing/x86_64 -> ../../x86_64/testing

So now all the following will work:

http://$mirror/alpine/edge/main (main for current x86)
http://$mirror/alpine/edge/main/x86 (main for future x86)
http://$mirror/alpine/edge/main/x86_64  (main for future x86_64)

Same with testing.

So now we just need add the support for $arch in apk-tools.

-nc

---