Subject: [alpine-devel] JFS Utils APKBUILD

From: Teran McKinney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 23:20:39 +0000

Hey everyone,

I've been giving Alpine a try and have been really impressed so far.
However, I was disappointed by the lack of a jfsutils package. Because
of that, built it and have a build script attached.

It's my first time building for Alpine, so there are probably a few
problems with it. You may also want to change the maintainer field to
one of you guys, as I'm not positive if I want to commit to being a
packager just yet. I'm also aware that the patch gives root@silentgnu
rather than my email. If this is important to change, let me know and
I'll fix it.

Also, what is depends_dev for? How does it compare to makedepends?
abuild -r wouldn't pull it in automatically.

Thanks,
Teran

PS: Please CC me on replies as I'm not yet on this list.

-- 
--Teran McKinney (sega01)

/*
Blog and website:
http://go-beyond.org/
Icadyptes (Arch Linux fork):
http://icadyptes.org/

Note that this email is PGP/MIME signed, as per the signature.asc
attachment. If you do not know what this is, please don't worry about
the attached signature.asc file. If you do know what this is and my
signature is invalid, it may be due to malicious activity, a bug, or a
mystery of email forwarding and what not. If you are concerned about
whether or not this email is altered, please let me know. Of course, if
it's altered enough, this text could be removed as well, so if this text
isn't here it is probably of higher concern. */

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:26:08 +0100

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 23:20:39 +0000
Teran McKinney <[email-masked]> wrote:

> However, I was disappointed by the lack of a jfsutils package.

You are the first one to ask for it.

> Because of that, built it and have a build script attached.

Nice! This is the kind we like!

> rather than my email. If this is important to change, let me know and

Very good first APKBUILD.

We always add first apkbuild to testing dir. Then we have the
autobuilder build it, we download from http and does some basic testing
to verify it still works, then we move it to 'main'.

Nitpick:

/home/ncopa/aports/.git/rebase-apply/patch:32: trailing whitespace.
build () { 
warning: 1 line adds whitespace errors.

and yes, I prefer not to have first time committers as maintainers.

> Also, what is depends_dev for? How does it compare to makedepends?

depends_dev is added to the -dev pacakges' runtime depends.

example:

pkgname=libfoo
makedepends=libbar-dev
subpackages="$pkgname-dev $pkgname-doc"

now will libfoo-dev and libfoo-doc be built. Since libfoo is linked to
libbar, libbar will be pulled in as a runtime depend for libfoo.

Lets say that libfoo-dev has a /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libfoo.pc file which
says:

Requires: bar-2.0
Libs: -L${libdir} -lfoo -lbar

It means that what ever that builds against libfoo-dev will also need
libbar-dev. In fact any app that does pkg-config check on libfoo will
also look for libbar and the configure script will fail. Even if there
is no configure script it might fail on the linking stage due to -lbar.

So, in order to pull in libbar-dev we need to add libbar-dev to
libfoo-dev's runtime depends.

This is what depends_dev does.

> abuild -r wouldn't pull it in automatically.

Maybe it should. depends_dev is a hack.

You can do:

depends_dev="libfoo-dev"
makedepends="$depends_dev other-dev"

(If you have time and energy, I would appreciate if you (or someone
else) could include that in the wiki some place.)
 
> PS: Please CC me on replies as I'm not yet on this list.

I always hit "reply-all" incase ppl are not on list.

I applied it moved it to testing, changed you to Cotnributor and me as
maintainer and fixed the whitespace damage.

Could you please download it from edge/testing and give it a basic test
run and let me know if it works? Then I'll move it back to main.

Thanks!

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: "Matt Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 02:24:15 -0600 (CST)

> Teran McKinney <[email-masked]> wrote:
..snip..
> depends_dev is added to the -dev pacakges' runtime depends.
..snip..
> else) could include that in the wiki some place.)

I'm not sure what you need documented, unless you mean because
'abuild -r' doesn't pull in packages for depends_dev?

Other than that, there's already a short description of depends_dev
on the APKBUILD Reference page:
http://alpinelinux.org/wiki/APKBUILD_Reference
 
Matt

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:59:47 +0100

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 02:24:15 -0600 (CST)

> http://alpinelinux.org/wiki/APKBUILD_Reference

Let me rephrase it then: If what we have is not good enough...

Suggestions to improvement are always welcome :)

Thanks!

-nc

---