2 2

[alpine-devel] x86_64 users: ATTENTION

Natanael Copa
Details
Message ID
<20110406163451.5375a3d0@alpinelinux.org>
Sender timestamp
1302100491
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
If you currently apk upgrade your x86_64 edge box it will break dut to
x86 libs will overwrite the x86_64 libs.

We are investigating a proper solution. (as soon as i get my box back
up again)

Sorry.

-nc


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Timo Teräs
Details
Message ID
<4D9C8C02.9040004@iki.fi>
In-Reply-To
<20110406163451.5375a3d0@alpinelinux.org> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1302105090
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On 04/06/2011 05:34 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> If you currently apk upgrade your x86_64 edge box it will break dut to
> x86 libs will overwrite the x86_64 libs.
> 
> We are investigating a proper solution. (as soon as i get my box back
> up again)
> 
> Sorry.

This happens because even the old x86_64 apk-tools try to get the index
from same place as x86 one. But this should not be a major problem as we
don't have any release for x86_64, except the edge snapshots.

x86_64 should currently then:
 wget
http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/apk-tools-2.1.0_rc1-r0.apk
 apk add apk-tools-2.1.0_rc1-r0.apk
 apk update
 apk upgrade

Sorry about the breakage.

- Timo


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---
Natanael Copa
Details
Message ID
<20110406213220.415ad07d@alpinelinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<4D9C8C02.9040004@iki.fi> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1302118340
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:51:30 +0300
Timo Teräs <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 04/06/2011 05:34 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > If you currently apk upgrade your x86_64 edge box it will break dut
> > to x86 libs will overwrite the x86_64 libs.
> > 
> > We are investigating a proper solution. (as soon as i get my box
> > back up again)
> > 
> > Sorry.
> 
> This happens because even the old x86_64 apk-tools try to get the
> index from same place as x86 one.

I removed the APKINDEX.tar.gz -> x86/APKINDEX.tar.gz symlink so people
running x86_64 edge does not get broken system just by 'apk upgrade
-U'. This means that even x86 edge users will currently need to do the
manual wget upgrade.

Once we have the v2.2 branch we can add the compat symlink back.

> But this should not be a major problem as we don't have any release
> for x86_64, except the edge snapshots.

It is a major problem for all current x86_64 users since they have no
other option than edge. My box at work broke and it was tricky to fix.

> x86_64 should currently then:
>  wget
> http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/apk-tools-2.1.0_rc1-r0.apk
>  apk add apk-tools-2.1.0_rc1-r0.apk
>  apk update

FYI. At this point the /var/lib/apk/world should have moved
to /etc/apk/world and the rest of /var/lib/apk/* moved to /lib/apk/db

This means that from now on, you can no longer use any apk-tools-2.0
without first manually move those files back to where apk-tools expects
them.

>  apk upgrade

Currently also x86 needs to do it (but using proper apk-tools)

I would also recommend start with:
 
 apk add -U busybox-static apk-tools-static

Then you can always run /bin/busybox.static in case you end up bad.
That said, the symlink that caused the chaos has been removed so you
should never end up with broken system now.


> 
> Sorry about the breakage.

It happens. It's the price we pay for progress.

> - Timo

-nc


---
Unsubscribe:  alpine-devel+unsubscribe@lists.alpinelinux.org
Help:         alpine-devel+help@lists.alpinelinux.org
---