Subject: [alpine-devel] new edge snapshot and upcoming feature freeze

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 21:39:38 +0200

Hi,

I have tagged a new edge snapshot, 110407. This includes apk-tools-2.1
so things should works as normal when setting up new boxes, without any
apk-tools upgrade adventures.

This snapshot also has a new version of setup-disk with support for
data-only disk setups. You first get asked if you want use disk at all,
and if so, which disk. Then you get asked how you would like to use it
and you basically have 2 options:
 * data-only (hybrid) install
 * traditional native disk install

data-only disk will set up the disk with swap and one big /var using
LVM. You can manually set swap size with -s option or disable it swap by
setting the size to 0. If you run setup-disk with -r option, it will
create a raid1 device under LVM with a single disk so you later can
append a disk for redundancy.

Native disk install might have some issues at the moment and I intend
to rewrite it to also use LVM.

setup-disk now uses ext4 by default.

Please test it and give feedback.

I think we will enter feature freeze mode tomorrow. From next week we
will focus on bug fixing and setting up a 2.2-stable build box. If
there still are any packages in testing that you need for 2.2 stable,
well, too bad...

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Ted Trask <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:42:15 -0700 (PDT)

Just FYI, I'm working on updates to acf-jquery and acf-weblog that I would like 
to get into 2.2. They probably won't make it for tomorrow, but I have no problem 
upgrading them later in the process and verifying them myself. I think you have 
larger issues to worry about, so I wouldn't want to hold up the release.

Ted

----- Original Message ----
From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Thu, April 7, 2011 3:39:38 PM
Subject: [alpine-devel] new edge snapshot and upcoming feature freeze

Hi,

-nc

---

---

---

From: Ted Trask <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:45:06 -0700 (PDT)

Will use of LVM be required? Will it be possible to get the exact same install 
that you used to get from 'setup-disk -r'?

Ted

----- Original Message ----
From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Thu, April 7, 2011 3:39:38 PM
Subject: [alpine-devel] new edge snapshot and upcoming feature freeze

Hi,

-nc

---

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 08:04:37 +0200

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:45:06 -0700 (PDT)
Ted Trask <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Will use of LVM be required? Will it be possible to get the exact
> same install that you used to get from 'setup-disk -r'?

Is there a need for that? I was thinking of it, but from script
programming perspective, its so much more complicated to work with
partitions than LVM. You can also resize/re-organize the partitions
later.

I could ofcourse keep the current code (which is one big bulk) in there
but it would be nice to 

The current plan is that 'setup-disk -r' and selecting 'root' will
create 2 partitions, 1 boot, 1 for lvm and store the root and swap (if
any) on lvm.

I wonder if we should have a simplified disk layout too, no LVM, no
swap, no /boot, just /. This could be useful for ssd setups.

Oh, btw, what I think would be cool would be if you could run
setup-disk with 2 or more disks and it would automatically do the raid
magic for you. For example: setup-disk /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

> so things should works as normal when setting up new boxes, without
> any apk-tools upgrade adventures.
> 
> data-only disk setups. You first get asked if you want use disk at
> all, and if so, which disk. Then you get asked how you would like to
> use it and you basically have 2 options:
> LVM. You can manually set swap size with -s option or disable it swap
> by setting the size to 0. If you run setup-disk with -r option, it
> will create a raid1 device under LVM with a single disk so you later
> can append a disk for redundancy.
> 

---

---

From: Ted Trask <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 05:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

Needed? Maybe not. But I did think it was a nice simple sollution. LVM adds an 
extra layer of complication. However, I no longer use setup-disk in any of my 
applications, and have moved back to run-from-RAM and lbu. So, as usual, I will 
trust your judgement.

Ted

----- Original Message ----
From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
To: Ted Trask <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Fri, April 8, 2011 2:04:37 AM
Subject: Re: [alpine-devel] new edge snapshot and upcoming feature freeze

---

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 16:31:40 +0200

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 05:38:24 -0700 (PDT)
Ted Trask <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Needed? Maybe not. But I did think it was a nice simple sollution.
> LVM adds an extra layer of complication. However, I no longer use
> setup-disk in any of my applications, and have moved back to
> run-from-RAM and lbu. So, as usual, I will trust your judgement.

Ok, I think I will make that possible at some point. I is just a bit
complicated to write a script that can support with/without swap
without LVM (i'm lazy...)

Is there any need for non-LVM for data-only disk?

I suppose it is. I think I will disable LVM by default but let users
enable it with -L.

sigh...

-nc

---