Subject: [alpine-devel] updated setup-disk and new edge snapshot

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:56:02 +0200

Hi,

I have uploaded a new alpine-edge snapshot with an updated setup-disk.
The big news are that setup-disk will automatically create raid devices
for you if you specify multiple disks. For example:

  setup-disk /dev/sda /dev/sdb

will ask you if you want use those disks as system disk (native
install) or data-only disk. Then it will create partitions and raid
them.

If 3 or more disks are specified it will create raid1 for /boot and
raid5 for the rest. For data-only raid5 will be used.

You can still create a raid1 in degraded mode with a single disk, using
-r option, just like before.

LVM is disabled by default but can be enabled with -L option.

There is also an -m option that sets the install mode (data/sys) so you
don't get prompted for that.

Just like before, you can specify a mount point as parameter instead of
disk where new root is. This should handle raid, lvm and various file
systems. Use this if you want use something else than the default ext4
or want some fancy partitioning.

There are now an -s option to set swap size.

Some examples:

  # prompt user which disk and how to use it
  setup-disk

  # prompt user which disk and how to use it. Set up raid1 in degraded
  # mode with a single disk.
  setup-disk -r

  # set up swap and /var on raid5:
  setup-disk -m data /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

  # set up /boot on raid1, swap and / (root) on LVM on raid5:
  setup-disk -m sys -L /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

There are a help text if '?' is entered on the prompts. I think the
help text could be greatly improved and would very much like have help
with that.

Please download, test and give feedback:

http://alpinelinux.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi/edge/releases/x86/alpine-edge-110412-x86.iso
http://alpinelinux.org/cgi-bin/dl.cgi/edge/releases/x86_64/alpine-edge-110412-x86_64.iso

Thanks!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---