Subject: [alpine-devel] Heads up! bootloader update

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:41:29 +0200

Hi,

First, this only affects sys-disk installs. tmpfs installs are
unaffected.

I have updated the syslinux's update-extlinux script a bit and added an
post-upgrade script.

From now on you'll need to add kernel boot options
to /etc/update-extlinux.conf and run 'update-extlinux' instead of
editing /boot/extlinux.conf directly.

The upgrade script will first check if current /boot/extlinux.conf is
generated. If its not (has a "# Genereated by" header) it will parse
the extlinux.conf and try fish out root=, modules= and other kernel
options and put those in /etc/update-extlinux.conf and later will the
trigger script re-generate the extlinux.conf.

I you want manage your extlinux.conf manually you can set overwrite=0
in /etc/update-extlinux.conf and it will only
generate /boot/extlinux.conf.new.

I would appreciate if you with non-standard disk installs (root on LVM
and/or raid) could please keep an extra eye open and tell me how it
went. I would also appreciate if someone could try do a disk install
with 2.2 in a virtual machine, set some nonstandard options (serial
console for example) and then test how it goes to upgrade to 'edge'.

In any case, keep an eye open when you upgrade your edge boxes.
Thanks!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---