Subject: [alpine-devel] New edge snapshot, 110827

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 18:53:10 +0200

Hi,

I have pushed a new edge snapshot with various bigger changes that
are planned for Alpine Linux 2.3. Please note that the edge snapshot
got approx 7MB smaller, even if it contains more features :)

* Linux 3.0
New kernel. xen dom0 support is probably the biggest news here.

* Firmware included in modloop
You no longer need apk add linux-firmware if you use a "live" boot. The
firmware files are included in the module loopback image (the modloop).

* modloop as squashfs
During all the years we have used cramfs for the modloop image. Back at
that time I picked cramfs over squashfs only because the cramfs kernel
module was smaller. At that time I wanted be able to boot the system
from floppies so that made a difference back then. We haven't supported
boot from floppy for many years now so it makes much more sense to have
a better compressed modloop. squashfs with xz compression does this for
us.

* busybox-1.19
New busybox release. Some of the more interesting things are:
 - support for syslog.conf which I believe gives use the possibility to
   split logfiles into mail.log, auth.log etc.
 - Adds ctrl-r (history search) in shell (yay!)
 - new applets 'users' and 'groups'

Enjoy!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---