Subject: [alpine-devel] pulling in librt as needed

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 13:34:20 +0100

Hi,

Nenolod, I wonder exactly what problem was this commit intended to fix:

http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/?id=3e90d206c5c7ddacb00d9947cb7d495a2e999bcc

It appears to make libstdc++ link to librt - which i think it should
not and which seems to trigger a linker bug:
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/854

So, I wonder exactly why we pull in librt as needed. The commit message
only says "because glibc does"

Thanks!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 16:23:03 +0100

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 13:34:20 +0100
Natanael Copa <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So, I wonder exactly why we pull in librt as needed. The commit
> message only says "because glibc does"

I found it. It was to "improve portability with broken applications
which expect that linking directly against libc will bring in mq_*()
functions."

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg07414.html

I tend to agree with Mike there. It's better to fix the broken apps.
Even man mq_open(3) says: "Link with -lrt"

I am reverting it.

-nc

---