Subject: [alpine-devel] watch out for udev-180

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:00:39 +0100

Hi,

To all udev users: If you have upgraded today or yesterday, please
apk upgrade -a again and make sure that you no longer have udev-180. It
will kill your box... sorry.

I pushed udev-180 upgrade, did a reboot and everything seemed ok.

Today I realized that the upgrade I did was on my main workstation and
not the laptop and I discovered that my workstation was completely
broken.

So I digged around and figured out that they yet again have moved
around things and that they now require devtmpfs support in kernel.
This means I was forced to revert the udev-180 upgrade.

Things like this could have been avoided if they had a proper home page
with proper news that you could read before downloading the tarball.
(the only way they communicate this things is in NEWS file within the
tarball)

I don't think it is good that udev has such a monopoly situation where
they try to push systemd down the throat on everyone. Unfortunally, if
you want a desktop system with working hotplugging, you do not have any
options.

again. sorry for the inconvenience

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Roger Pau Monné <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:49:54 +0100

> (the only way they communicate this things is in NEWS file within the

It might be good to drop a line to this people explaining the
situation, so we can avoid this in future versions.

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:15:48 +0100

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:49:54 +0100
Roger Pau Monné <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Things like this could have been avoided if they had a proper home
> > page with proper news that you could read before downloading the
> > tarball. (the only way they communicate this things is in NEWS file
> > within the tarball)
> 

I doubt they care. I should have read the NEWS file before pushing
anything.

-nc

---