Subject: [alpine-devel] configuring bonding and vlans

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:43:11 +0100

Hi,

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours to only configure bonding and vlan
tagging on a box and realized, it is way to difficult and its very easy
to do minor mistakes causing network not to start up at boot.

So I have now copied the pre-up scripts from debian and done some
adjustments for making it work with busybox.

This means that you now can configure bond interfaces like:

iface bond0 inet static
	bond-slaves eth0 eth1
	address 192.168.0.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0

And it will "just work".

Same with vlans. Just add:

iface bond0.64 inet static
	address 192.168.64.2
	netmask 255.255.255.0

or:

iface vlan64 inet static
	address 192.168.64.2
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	vlan-raw-device bon0

Currently you'll need add the packages vlan and bonding from
edge/testing, but I am considering add this functionality to
alpine-baslayout. It is only a handful scripts that takes very little
space.

Meanwhile, please test it from the bridge-utils and vlan packages.

I'll have a look on bridges too while i'm here...

Thanks!

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Roger Pau Monné <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:17:23 +0100

> alpine-baslayout. It is only a handful scripts that takes very little

Do we have to change the setup-interfaces script to change the way
bridges are created?

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:07:32 +0100

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:17:23 +0100

> Do we have to change the setup-interfaces script to change the way

Theoretically, no. We could just say that use the "edit interfaces
file" feature in setup-alpine to do advanced networking.

but I think it would be neat if it could accept br0, bond0 etc
and if you enter any of those, it'll ask about the slaves or bridge
ports.

I hope I'll get time to look at that before the feature freeze :-/

-nc

---