Subject: [alpine-devel] Mailing list weirdness

From: Dubiousjim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:58:10 -0400

I'm trying to send some patches to the list using git-send-email, but
they don't seem to be coming through. If I change the To: address to
myself, they come through fine.

Perhaps the list is just unusually sluggish, though if this email comes
through and the patches don't that will be some evidence against that
diagnosis.

Some lists block emails that aren't from list subscribers. I tried to
anticipate that, but no joy. More on this in a moment. Anyway, if this
email comes through, it will be evidence that this list is not
configured that way. And indeed, I see that I've had two messages go
through to the list in the past that weren't from my subscribed address.

All my patches are authored by [email-masked].

This email's envelope sender is [email-masked], and its From: header
is [email-masked]. Neither of those is the address I subscribed to
the list with; I subscribed with a mangled address
[email-masked] because that makes it easy to implement
a global system for filtering mail from mailing lists. (As opposed to
keeping track of which identifier headers are present this week for umpteen
different lists.)

It's easy enough to configure git to set the envelope sender of the
patches it sends to the subscribed address. It's also possible to
configure git to set the From: to the subscribed address, but this
doesn't work so well. In the current version of git, if I do that, the
right From: field gets put in the header block. But an old "From:
[email-masked]" header (originally created by git-format-patch,
because that's the author address on the commits) gets left as the first
line of the email bodies. If you supply the --compose switch to
git-send-email, then that spurious header is omitted; but I don't want
to have to open and close a text editor for every patch I'm sending.
Perhaps this is a bug with the current version of git-send-email?

Anyway, the upshot is that, given the mismatch between the address on my
commits and the address I'm subscribed to the list with, it's easiest if
the list accepts emails without verifying the sender is subscribed. It's
second-easiest if the list will accept emails so long as the envelope
sender OR the From: header is a subscribed address. At the moment, it's
more awkward if the list demands that the From: header be a subscribed
address.

Of course, if this email gets through but my (several) attempts to send
the patches don't, I'm currently at a loss to explain why...

-- 
Dubiousjim
[email-masked]

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Jeremy Thomerson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:42:19 -0400

Probably too obvious to mention (but it's bit me before): What MTA is your
git-send-email using?  Is it possible that it sends to your domain only but
isn't configured as a relay?  I've had that where I could send patches to
myself (i.e. non-relay) but not a list (i.e. relay).

Jeremy Thomerson

---

From: Dubiousjim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:47:19 -0400

> myself (i.e. non-relay) but not a list (i.e. relay).

Hi Jeremy, don't worry, nothing is too obvious to mention. But yeah,
I've established that I can send (via msmtp, even when git-send-mail) is
doing the sending, to a variety of external addresses, not managed by
the same folks who are providing my smtp. Nathan is corresponding with
me offlist about what the issue might be, but so far we're both stumped.

-- 
Dubiousjim
[email-masked]

---

---

From: Nathan Angelacos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:48:59 -0700

> me offlist about what the issue might be, but so far we're both stumped.
And for the record, we don't see the email hit lists.a.o when he sends 
to the list; but he can send to [email-masked] (using the same 
relay) just fine.

---