Subject: [alpine-devel] Logo v2 - fewer colors

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 22:58:50 +0200

Hi,

I forwarded the summary of the comments to Tobias and he has made a
version 2.

The changes are:
* use a single color of the icon part
* little bit darker (and stronger?) 'linux'
* separate the front mountain from the one behind in a try to reduce
  the 'M' effect and make it look more like an 'A' or mountains
* the final 'e' is more rounded

http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/162/Alpine_Linux_logo_black_white_v1.pdf
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/163/Alpine_Linux_logo_v4.pdf

In my opinion, previous version was great. This is even better :)

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Der Tiger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 01:36:58 +0200

Hi Natanael,

> I forwarded the summary of the comments to Tobias and he has made a
Great job!

Version 2 is certainly better suited and can very well be used on screen
as well as on paper. While version 1 was very sophisticated and
beautiful, it would have been really difficult to print on paper or to
shrink it to low resolution without loosing most of its nice features.

Going through those G00gle searches you posted earlier, I found many of
the existing "Alpine" logos of other companies used blue and green
colourations. If, as Carlo suggested, the Alpine Linux brand wants to
set itself apart from car stereo and mountain equipment manufacturers,
this should be taken into consideration when choosing colours for the
logo. Though, it might be difficult to find any other colour than blue
to fit both, the logo and the website colour scheme. Bordeaux and red
would result in pinkish colours when brightened for background
colouration of the website. Orange is very popular these days, but very
bright and leads to violently clashy website designs (e.g. the previous
Asterisk website before the last major rework). Yellow has no contrast
on white backgrounds and websites in greys look like advertisements of a
funeral home.

Live Long and Prosper, Tiger

---

---

From: Carlo Landmeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 10:15:03 +0200

> * the final 'e' is more rounded

Have you thought/asked about moving the dot in the first mountain to the
center, so it looks more like an A?
It would also like the left side of the mountain is continuing (not sure if
thats nice or not).

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 14:40:22 +0200

On Fri, 16 May 2014 10:15:03 +0200

> center, so it looks more like an A?

That was what I was thinking too, but apparently Tobias didn't :)

-nc

---

---

From: Alan Messias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 08:12:40 -0300

Hello all,

Any news about this?

Best regards,
-- 
Atenciosamente,
Alan Messias Cordeiro

*The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait
another year until the one arises you are looking for. -- A. Tanenbaum,
"Introduction to Computer Networks"*

---

From: Chris Spillane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:04:59 +0100

My vote goes to
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/attachments/download/162/Alpine_Linux_logo_black_white_v1.pdf
- the one at the top of the PDF (black text, black hexagon, white image
within).

-- 
Chris Spillane

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 22:40:14 +0200

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:04:59 +0100

> - the one at the top of the PDF (black text, black hexagon, white image

Yes. I think this is more than good enough. It is always possible to
make variants and he sent me some really good variants with ice look
which I currently use as desktop background.

I have also started to play with a simple static webpage generator
using Lua. I think we should launch new logo together with new website.

-nc

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 22:35:54 +0200

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 08:12:40 -0300

> Best regards,

Tobias wanted make a new version of the icon based on the latest
feedback (make it look even more as an A) but he has been busy (I dont
pay him to work on it so I don't want put preasure)

-nc

---

---

From: Alan Messias <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 07:52:18 -0300

Hi all,

Great job! But... I still prefer the previous version. Yet, mong those new
ones I best like the blue.
I dont think having more than one color is a problem. Look:
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1311499343/debian-square.png
But it is not mandatory - of course.

:wq!
alacerda