Subject: Re: [alpine-devel] udev replacement in Alpine Linux

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 15:53:38 +0200

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 12:41:39 +0200
Christoph Lohmann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Greetings.

Hi.

...

> > Here is what I have been thinking, and what came out of a long
> > discussion on busybox mailing list.
> > 
> > Implement the netlink daemon as a socket activator. When there is a new
> > event, fork/exec the handler and pass over the socket.
> > 
> > The handler reads the events from the socket and handles them. Set a
> > timout on the socket and exit when there are no events withing one or two
> > seconds. The socket activator takes over again.
> 
> Processes and sockets are cheap in Linux. There is no need for this com*
> plexity. Keep it simple.

Sockets are cheap. Spawning new processes is not. I do want avoid forks
during bootup.

> You  will  have  more problems by adapting to the dbus herd. There long*
> running daemons are the norm. But that*s a different topic  which  might
> get  addressed  in  the future either by the demise of the developers of
> that crappy services or by having yet another important  part  of  Linux
> (Bluetooth anyone?) depending on such a false design.
> 
> > I have this implemented, based on nldev code:
> > http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/user/ncopa/nlplug/tree/
> 
> These are simple changes. You could have sent me the patch for nldev in*
> stead of splitting it up again and creating  a  blackhole  in  juridical
> questions  by  adding  a  half*baked  license  line. Now there*s another
> project. As I recommended, all of this should be now done under smdev at
> suckless.org.

I originally wanted to keep the busybox implementation since we use
busybox anyways.

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---