Subject: [alpine-devel] remove ruby-* packages?

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:54:53 +0200

Hi,

I wonder if there are any good reason to *not* purge the ruby-*
packages?

There are many good reasons to do it:

- upstream generally does not support distro packaging, instead, they
  prefer that `gem` package manager is used instead.
- many of the ruby-* packages are broken
- its very time consuming to upgrade things
- its very easy to break things when upgrading
- its almost impossible to provide security fixes for the distro
  packaged ruby-*

If there are any good reason to keep the ruby-* packages, then I'd like
to know, before I purge them.

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Paul Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:48:52 -0400

> to know, before I purge them.

I would argue in favor of keeping a handful, such as ruby-rake and ruby-irb,
which are subpackages of ruby [1] and are generally useful outside of bundles.

I might argue in favor of keeping ruby-pry since it's generally useful
outside of bundles.

I find it hard to argue in favor of keeping any packages that are
available via rubygems.

[1] http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/ruby/APKBUILD

-paul

---

---

From: Jakub Jirutka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:03:30 +0200

Hi,

please keep all the ruby package subpackages (like ruby-rake, ruby-irb, …) and also ruby-bundler (this is a separate package). Other ruby-* packages are probably unnecessary.

I would also suggest to check if there are any specific patches in ruby-* packages, especially for native extensions to be buildable on musl; these may be candidates for keeping.

Jakub J.

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:25:02 +0200

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:03:30 +0200
Jakub Jirutka <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> please keep all the ruby package subpackages (like ruby-rake,
> ruby-irb, *) and also ruby-bundler (this is a separate package).
> Other ruby-* packages are probably unnecessary.

all ruby subpackages will be kept ofcourse.

> 
> I would also suggest to check if there are any specific patches in
> ruby-* packages, especially for native extensions to be buildable on
> musl; these may be candidates for keeping.

ruby-rmagick, ruby-pg i think. But there should not be any problems
with building those with gem. just make sure that the build deps are
there.

-nc

---