Subject: [alpine-devel] Planning for the 3.7 release freeze

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 17:50:01 +0200

Hi,

We are getting closer the 3.7 release. In 3-4 weeks we should have the
build toolchain freeze (anything that is in the build-base dependency
chain).

Here are some things I'd like to have done before that:

- gcc 7
  We probably need a separate gcc6-java to be able too bootstrap openjdk

- new musl release

- rust on all/more arches

- rootbld?

Some of the things I think we should fix before the 3.7 release:

- gdb 8

- support for EFI/GPT in setup-disk (in progress)

- support for grub in setup-disk on most arches

- better s390x support

Infra related issues we should fix before 3.7 release:

- tier1/tier2 mirrors

- gpg remailer

- CI for ppc64le

Anything else?

We need start to think of drawing a line now so we don't end up with
lots of last minute things that delays the 3.7 release.

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: "A. Wilcox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 14:33:31 -0500

On 07/09/17 10:50, Natanael Copa wrote:
> - gcc 7 We probably need a separate gcc6-java to be able too
> bootstrap openjdk

It makes me a bit nervous to bump a GCC version right before release.

> - new musl release

This would be very good.

> Some of the things I think we should fix before the 3.7 release:

What is wrong with it?

> - support for EFI/GPT in setup-disk (in progress)

This is a good thing.  I will be happy to test it.

> Anything else?

Yes!  For the abuild package: the PyPI modernisation that tmpfile did,
and a few patches that we wrote.  Both seem to be available as pull
requests on GitHub.  There is probably one more coming down the line,
as when I ran newapkbuild -C for a CMake package, one function said
"unknown parameter -C" even though everything seemed to work otherwise.

Looking forward to helping make this release a great one,
- --arw

- -- 
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux
http://adelielinux.org

---

---

From: "Hendrik Fabelje" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 11:32:03 +0200

Natanael Copa <[email-masked]> wrote on 07.09.2017 17:50:01:

> Von: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
> An: [email-masked]
> Datum: 07.09.2017 18:07
> Betreff: [alpine-devel] Planning for the 3.7 release freeze
>
> Hi,
>

Please feel free to include

http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/alpine/

we recently added a mirror for alpine and we provide 20Gbit/s of
connectivity.

> lots of last minute things that delays the 3.7 release.

Regards,
Hendrik

---

---

From: Roberto Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 18:15:55 -0300

> Infra related issues we should fix before 3.7 release:

Regarding the CI for ppc64le, I was able to setup a Jenkins[1] in a VM running 
Alpine. The VM is in Alpinebox ppc64le machine.

I initially configured it to build PR opened in my aports repository[2] but it 
can be easily changed to build PR from the main aports repository.

To configure Jenkins, I initially used the same set of scripts from Travis + a 
patch with some minor changes allowing ppc64le build (PR is opened at [3]). As 
the VM is already an Alpine, maybe we don't need some parts of Travis scripts, 
for example to download the apk-tools tar.gz, but we can improve if it is needed.

An initial solution could be to keep Travis building x86_64 packages and 
integrate Jenkins to build the ppc64le packages.

I would like to hear any suggestions/thoughts about that.

Regards,
Roberto Oliveira

--
[1] - http://177.220.10.151:8080/job/aports-PR/
[2] - https://github.com/rgdoliveira/aports/pulls
[3] - https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/pull/2286

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:36:52 +0200

A follow up...

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 17:50:01 +0200

>   We probably need a separate gcc6-java to be able too bootstrap openjdk

We will not reach gcc 7, so we stick to gcc 6 for the v3.7 release.
 
> - new musl release

musl is done.
 
> - rust on all/more arches

Jakub or Shiz, any update on this?
 
> - rootbld?

I think we will have to postpone rootbld ti post v3.7 too :-/

> Some of the things I think we should fix before the 3.7 release:

gdb 8 is done

> - support for grub in setup-disk on most arches

this is making progress. Carlo made some good work with setup-disk that
I need to review.

Carlo, do you know what is left to do with setup-disk? (in addition to
testing)

> - better s390x support

The only thing we need have working is rethinkdb for now. The other
things not working for s390x can probably just be disabled for now.

When it comes to rethinkdb, we need to resolve conflict for the ppc64le
patch and s390x rebase for rethinkdb 2.3.6. I wish IBM could help us
with that, but I think we are stuck in between the ppc64le team and
s390x team.

> Infra related issues we should fix before 3.7 release:

Daniel, do you know what the status is here?

> - gpg remailer

Carlo, do you think you can help us with this?

> - CI for ppc64le

Roberto is making progress here. I think we are not too far from
putting it into production.

---