Subject: [alpine-devel] Stalled patches to aports

From: Drew DeVault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 08:32:53 -0400

I have a whole lot of patches backed up on aports:

https://patchwork.alpinelinux.org/project/aports/list/?submitter=274&state=&q=&archive=&delegate=

I want to send more, but I'm worried they'll just add to the list of
dead patches.

I would be happy to volunteer as an Alpine developer, especially if the
current patch volume is beyond the capacity of the Alpine team. I know
there was some discussion before on getting a process in place for this,
is there any movement on that front?

--
Drew DeVault

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: "Milan P. Stanic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:24:50 +0200

> is there any movement on that front?

Comment about Symbola fonts
https://patchwork.alpinelinux.org/patch/3813/

License for Symbola fonts is "Software on this site is free strictly for
personal, non-commercial use" as it is written in the
http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/

Not sure if it could be distributed by Alpine because of "strictly for
personal".

Anyway, fonts are usable and I have it installed manually some time ago
because font-noto-emoji crashes my st (suckles terminal) on aarch64
box, but Symbola works quite fine.

BTW, why you have newline after source tag:
source="
        ${pkgname}-${pkgver}.zip::http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/Symbola.zip

It could/should be on the same line, if I'm not wrong.

---

---

From: Drew DeVault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 09:27:46 -0400

> Not sure if it could be distributed by Alpine because of "strictly for

Thanks for the feedback - I just based my work on existing packages for
other distros when I should have done due diligence on the "custom"
license.

I'll drop the symbola patch in light of this.

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:47:27 +0200

Last time I looked at them there was a need for changes. I haven't had
the time (or taken the time) to give the needed feedback (and follow that up)

So what happens is that I think "i'll do this later", and it piles up.

Sorry.

-nc

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 08:32:53 -0400

---

---

From: Drew DeVault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 10:52:11 -0400

> So what happens is that I think "i'll do this later", and it piles up.

No worries, I get that no one has infinite time. It seems like a
systemic problem, however, and though you're blameless in not having
enough time I think a solution to the systemtic problem should be
considered.

---

---

From: Oliver Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:26:00 +0000

Hi,

> is there any movement on that front?

I think Alpine would benefit greatly from that, both of having you
helping out as well as having a defined process for onboarding new
developers.

Natanael, what can we do to establish such a process?

Best regards,
Oliver

---

---

From: William Pitcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 09:26:55 -0500

Hello,

> Natanael, what can we do to establish such a process?

There is already a process.

Alpine Developers (those who hold voting rights and commit rights in
the project), who are already mentoring contributors can sponsor
nominations for new developers to be considered by the core team.  The
core team decides to approve or reject the nomination.  I wrote a bit
about the latest revision to this process last year.

Anyone who isn't a developer yet either hasn't been nominated or has
had their nomination rejected, a good way to get the ball rolling
would be to discuss with the people you are already working with to
get changes reviewed/accepted in Alpine.  If they are Developers, they
can provide feedback as to what needs to be improved in order to be
nominated, or consider processing the nomination.

William

---

---

From: Oliver Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 07:17:00 +0000

Hi William,

thanks for the overview. I would like to write this down in a wiki page,
so the onboarding process becomes more obvious and it's easier for
people to become developers.

* who is an Alpine developer? There is this list, but it seems to be
outdated: <https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux:Developers>
* what rights do developers have?
* what rights to members of the core team have?
* who is in the core team, is there a list somewhere?

Drew: do you know a developer who could nominate you?

Thanks,
Oliver

---