Subject: [alpine-devel] apk: package "grouping"?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:05:23 +0100

Hello!

I wonder how you manage pools of boxes with identical setup.
I.e., imagine two (:-} boxes with absolutely identical setup
except for the hardware driver related stuff -- i manually merge
in the /etc/apk/world, but having the possibility to "apk add
--tag FOO bar" so that FOO "is in /etc/apk/foo.world", so that
foo.world can simply be shared in between boxes, that would be
tremendous.  Is this possible today?, and if so, i really would
like to know how to!

Thank you for all the work!

--steffen
|
|Der Kragenbaer,                The moon bear,
|der holt sich munter           he cheerfully and one by one
|einen nach dem anderen runter  wa.ks himself off
|(By Robert Gernhardt)

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Paul Zillmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:07:45 +0100

Hello Steffen,

I would do it with Ansible, parallel ssh (pssh) or lbu.

- Paul

---

---

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 19:56:13 +0100

Paul Zillmann wrote in <[email-masked]>:
 |Hello Steffen,
 |
 |I would do it with Ansible, parallel ssh (pssh) or lbu.

lbu is also very cool.
The rest not me. :)

--steffen
|

---

---

From: Timo Teras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 19:18:51 +0200

Hi,

I generally do my own meta-packages and host internal repository. This
allows also updating the meta-packages pretty easily.

Doing apk/world.d/ or similar is an interesting idea too. But I need to
think about it more. Mostly it's if there's an use case where this
works better than the meta-packages in own repository.

Thoughts?

Timo

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:05:23 +0100

---

---

From: Bobby Bingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:12:45 -0600

> works better than the meta-packages in own repository.

This sounds a lot like the concept of package sets in portage, and is
one of the things I miss the most coming from Gentoo.

One place I find it useful is when trying to build a piece of software
that isn't packaged.  I need to install a number of *-dev packages that
I'll just uninstall after I get the build working.  There may be a large
number of them, and I may keep discovering more dependencies as I go,
both of which make it harder to keep track of the packages to uninstall
at the end.  By adding them via a package set, it becomes trivial to
just uninstall the whole set at the end.

I do have a local package repository, but creating a throw away package
whose entire purpose is to be easy to uninstall has always seemed like
overkill.

--
Bobby

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 12:43:22 +0100

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:12:45 -0600

> just uninstall the whole set at the end.

I use `apk add --virtual .mydeps foo-dev bar-dev` and when done: `apk
del .mydeps` for this.

But it seems like you cannot append deps afterwards.

---

---

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 19:54:31 +0100

Timo Teras wrote in <20181113191851.1fec6483@vostro>:
 |I generally do my own meta-packages and host internal repository. This
 |allows also updating the meta-packages pretty easily.

I do not really understand the latter (i still struggle how i can
share the binary cache in between the machines, but i will find
out).

The former i thought about too, but of course you need to create
meta packages in one go, if i understand it correctly.  This
does not work if you add in packages later, for example, about 15
minutes ago i had to add in "kbd" to gain some more Unicode
characters on the Linux framebuffer.  Now i need this over there,
too ...

 |Doing apk/world.d/ or similar is an interesting idea too. But I need to
 |think about it more. Mostly it's if there's an use case where this
 |works better than the meta-packages in own repository.

Host internal repository and binary cache, i will look around
this.  Thanks.

 |Thoughts?

Well...  No.

--steffen
|

---