Subject: [alpine-devel] Upgrade llvm to version 6

From: Milan P. Stanić <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 00:32:22 +0100

Hi,

As promised on #alpine-devel here are notes what I found about state
with llvm.

Disclaimer: I am not expert in the field of llvm, better say I'm novice
to be honest.

We have community/llvm3.9 already and it doesn't need any work, except
maybe removal or move to testing as nothing depends on it AFAIK. Maybe
someone have something in private repositories and because that maybe
this version should stay in aports.

We have main/llvm5 which is also fine and probably doesn't need any
upgrade and can stay as some packages makedepends on it.

llvm7 is at the version 7.0.1, released at 21 Dec 2018, but this version
have problems with gcc 8.2.x toolchains especially on musl and the
upstream announced new release 7.1.0 but didn't tell nothing about time
of the release.

So I worked to add llvm6 version 6.0.1 released at 5 Jul 2018.
I prepared aport patches for llvm clang lld and llvm-libunwind.
I added new aport main/llvm6 with llvm6 of course, and rest of
'batteries' upgraded in place, i.e. changed APKBUILDs, fixed build
problems, removed some patches, some added and some reworked.
Tried to build on three arch's: x86_64, aarch64 and armv7 with
'abuild -r' and they passed on all of them.

I've rebuilt crystal lang with llvm6 without any error, but test failed
and this is not problem with llvm but bug is in crystal.

In a day or two will try to rebuild rust to see how it works.

I have ready aports patches if it they are acceptable to be applied in a
way/method I described.

But, if anyone of you have some expertise in llvm it would be nice to
comment whatever you think, and what could be useful for Alpine to have
llvm in good shape.

n.b. sorry for my awkward English

-- 
Regards

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Milan P. Stanić <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:27:07 +0100

Replying to self,

> comment whatever you think, and what could be useful for Alpine to have

I posted patches to patchwork.alpinelinux.org for llvm6 tools, i.e.
llvm6, clang, lld, llvm-libunwind and lldb one week ago. Till now didn't
received any comment, review, slam or anything.
Did anyone looked at them?

Only missing part in llvm6 tools for which I didn't sent patch is
compiler-rt although I upgraded it and fixed APKBUILD. It builds fine
but fails in check, about ten to fifteen test fails. But, searching
through aports I didn't found any package which depends on compiler-rt
so not sure what to do with it. Post patch with check disabled so
interested people can enable check and try to fix these failed test or
something else.

I would like to hear what do you (interested people/developers) think
about these patches, or better yet, someone with better knowledge in the
field of llvm, takeover and make it better for Alpine.

Note, llvm7 is not yet released and upstream didn't announce when they
plan to release, they have just 'TBD' (To Be Done, I think) about it.

They have a plan to release llvm8 at the end of this month but I think
it is to late for next Alpine stable, although I could be wrong on this.

If anyone wants to help in any way please reply to this mail, discuss
llvm on #alpine-devel or even write a private mail to me, however you
think you can help.

Or, takeover maintainership.

-- 
Regards

---

---

From: Drew DeVault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 12:30:10 -0500

> Did anyone looked at them?

I need these for the RISC-V port, was going to look at them within the
week.

---

---

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:58:15 +0100

Milan P. Stanić wrote in <[email-masked]>:
  ...
 |If anyone wants to help in any way please reply to this mail, discuss

My box and me cannot help you, but we are interested in binary
updates of modern clang and use what we have regulary.
Ciao, and a nice weekend

--steffen
|
|Der Kragenbaer,                The moon bear,
|der holt sich munter           he cheerfully and one by one
|einen nach dem anderen runter  wa.ks himself off
|(By Robert Gernhardt)

---