Subject: [alpine-devel] Project reorganisation

From: Nero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 08:41:31 +0000

Hi,

I didn't ACK the project goals because i dont see it as a general purpose distribution.
Both i and my (undiclosed) employer use Alpine for the good base system to application payload ratio.
This is the main feat, the secondary is the diskless netboot.

I did't ACK the new governance model that is currently RFC'ed as well.
If i get to be in a Team, i'll have authority over others to make decisions, if im not, im subject to it (as far as you have leverage towards volunteers without contracts).
Both is poison for compromises being made on equal terms.

I have interests in this project, im able to represent them, and im ready for compromises with other people having different goals.
This is how i expect cooperations between persons/companies with different interests to work.

Also, please don't institutionalize "ownership" over a community effort.

-- Nero

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 12:24:01 +0200

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 08:41:31 +0000

> I didn't ACK the project goals because i dont see it as a general

Can you clarify? how do you see it? If its not general purpose, what
specific purpose is it for?

> system to application payload ratio.

application payload ratio?

> This is the main feat, the secondary is the diskless netboot.

Running diskless was one of the original features, and we will continue
support that.

netboot has been added afterwards.

> If i get to be in a Team, i'll have authority over others to make
> decisions, if im not, im subject to it (as far as you have leverage
> towards volunteers without contracts). Both is poison for compromises
> being made on equal terms.

The governance RFC is about "bootstrapping" the organization. Who can
decide what, when. Sort of a "constitution" if you like. This is not
the final goal but just enough to get us started so we have a
documented way to create and modify rules.

How the teams are organized is something that needs to be worked on
down the road.

That said, the idea here is not having a team lead telling what the
other team members should do or not do. The idea is to have a group of
people to help each other to achive a specific goal. It could for
example be help each other to manage the alpine linux servers (dns, web
site, bugtracker etc), or a team that help each other to review and
merge PRs that has to do with PHP or python etc.

> I have interests in this project, im able to represent them, and im
> ready for compromises with other people having different goals. This
> is how i expect cooperations between persons/companies with different
> interests to work.

Yes. That is how I think it should work. Everyone should be able to
express their needs and contribute, "scratch their itch" and I want
that to happen in a friendly manner. Having some documented rules will
help us achieve that.

> Also, please don't institutionalize "ownership" over a community

How do you mean?

-nc