Subject: HTML mails on mailing lists

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 22:48:23 +0200

Hi!

As you may have noticed the new mailing list blocks mails containing
HTML. This has caused some frustration and confusion.

I personally prefer plain text emails for various reasons, but at the
same time I think we should be forgiving to those who for some reason
cannot disable HTML emails. Blocking them to express their opinion is
worse than making it difficult or inconvenient for the recipient to
read it.

I would like everyone to know that we are working on solving this by
allowing emails with HTML and plain text in the alpine-user and
alpine-devel mailing lists.

We will still block emails with no plain text content. This is because
we believe there are very few email client that does not send multipart
emails with both plain text and HTML.

We will also continue block HTML emails to the alpine-aports list where
patches are sent. It is possible to submit patches via gitlab (and
github still).

If any of this still causes problems for you, then please feel free to
contact me or someone in the infra team directly so we can work out a
solution.

I would also like to ask everyone to wait respond to this email (or any
emails sent to the list) til we have this working. That way nobody is
locked out from the discussion.

I think we will have it working next week.

Thank you for your patience!

-nc

---

From: "Drew DeVault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 11:15:33 -0400

These changes have been implemented. If you were unable to send due your
client being unable to send plaintext email, you should be able to send
now. To support participants using plaintext-only mail clients, all HTML
emails are required to be formatted as multipart/alternative with a
text/plain part as well - however, nearly all mail clients will do this
for you without any additional configuration.

The aports list still blocks all HTML emails, as this mailing list is
mainly used for patches and patches sent as HTML are all but guaranteed
to be broken. For help sending to this list, consult the following
guide:

https://git-send-email.io

You may also submit patches on Gitlab or GitHub.

Thank you for your patience while these changes were discussed and
implemented. I apologise for the inconvenience caused - it was my
responsibility to ensure a smooth transition.

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 18:29:59 +0200

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 11:15:33 -0400

> for you without any additional configuration.

Thank you for the work you have put into this and for responding quickly.

I would also like to kindly ask participants to use plain text whenever
possible.

> You may also submit patches on Gitlab or GitHub.

Thanks!

-nc